+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    Saw "Nebraska" last night. Wonderful movie with great casting. One thing I loved: one of the characters' girlfriend was overweight. There was no dialogue about it and it wasn't part of any plot device. This is something you rarely see in movies and it's so refreshing.
    I haven't seen this yet, but I can imagine that would be refreshing. Why do overweight characters always have to be the butt of some joke?? I have been watching some British television lately and I think it's nice that so many of the women look like "real" women rather than the Hollywood version of women.

I just watched The Secret Life of Bees. I read the book long ago and had kind of forgotten about it except that I loved reading it. I cried a little during the movie and thought it was pretty good. Because I read the book so long ago, I can't really remember how true the movie was to the original story. I liked the casting very much.
    beerbelly and mushybrain like this.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I rewatched The Station Agent with Peter Dinklage and a wonderful ensemble cast. I love this little gem!
    Realitychick likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
    I just watched The Secret Life of Bees. I read the book long ago and had kind of forgotten about it except that I loved reading it. I cried a little during the movie and thought it was pretty good. Because I read the book so long ago, I can't really remember how true the movie was to the original story. I liked the casting very much.
    I would say, "If memory serves me", but my memory left the building a while ago. Still, this book had such an impact on me that it still haunts me. There was no way I was going to see the movie. None of the actors resembled the vivid images I have in my mind.
    beerbelly likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    I rewatched The Station Agent with Peter Dinklage and a wonderful ensemble cast. I love this little gem!
    LOVE this movie
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

It's Harry Potter Marathon Weekend on ABC Family. Happy me!

Tracks

This unflinching telling of Robyn Davidson's 1700 mile trek across the Australian desert is occasionally as painful to watch as Ms Davidson's original journey. However, if your cup of tea, it is quite rewarding. If you decide to watch this film plan on allowing yourself to 'just be' within the film. It doesn't go out of it's way to guide you, but that is, after all, it's charm.

Austenland. I read the reviews here and decided to give it a chance. A nice escapist film with good actors. A moral tale of what one wants against what one needs. The ending was a toss-away as they could have left it with the lovers discovery of each other. I liked it, didn't love it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Nice spoiler!

Blue Jasmine - I'm not a Woody Allen fan. I did enjoy Vicky Cristina Barcelona, but I decided I wanted to watch it before I knew it was a WA film. I decided to give this one a chance after hearing so many good things about it. I have to admit that it really was a very good movie. I went in not knowing anything about it beyond the synopsis on the Netflix sleeve. Cate Blanchett is such a fantastic actress. She did such an amazing job playing a multi-layered character that was so intent on playing the role that she thought she deserved. The mental health aspect of it was interestingly woven in as the story progressed. All of the side characters were equally well acted and convincing. Even Andrew Dice Clay did a good job in his role. I think it helped that the character fit with his "real world" persona. A sentence complimentary to Andrew Dice Clay is one that I never expected to utter, LOL!!
    candor likes this.

+ Reply to Thread