+ Reply to Thread
Page 149 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4999139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153 LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1528
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

You'll love the "7 Up" series -- it's really a remarkable project. I'll look for "Art of the Steal."
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Okay, never mind. Seven Up! is on Netflix streaming; it just doesn't come up in a search for Michael Apted. For some reason, his name isn't listed for that one. Watching it right now

ETA: Well, now I know what I'm doing over the next few days. I LOVED Seven Up! I have my own predictions about how the kids will turn out. I'm curious to see if I'm right!
    Last edited by Critical; 06-16-2014 at 01:00 AM.
    candor likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Not today but Friday!

Flew from LAX to Montreal!

Watched "Monuments Men"! I liked it!

And "The Grand Budapest Hotel"! So hysterical yet so great!
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    KAREN

I just added the whole Seven Up series to my queue. I have never heard of it before, so thanks for the tip candor!

This series is really terrific! I'm watching 28 Up now.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I also put all episodes on streaming; watched the first one and am marveling that all of them, regardless of class, had remarkable vocabularies for being seven.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Still plugging along with Up! I'm on 49 now and am already a bit sad that I have only one installment left. I've deliberately avoided reading anything about the series because I don't want to know what's happened to the participants until I watch it. Once I'm finished with 56, I'll read some interviews and articles. I think Apted is in his early 70's so, if the "kids" still want to participate, I hope he keeps going and we see them again at 63 and beyond.

I hope he'll have someone continue if he ages out of the project. I'm the same age as these "kids" so it's strange watching them get older, although they seem happier. I'm curious if anybody on the board ended up with the life they envisioned at age 7. I certainly didn't; mine has been better than expected career-wise and worse than expected relationship-wise.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Putting Seven Up on my watch list...it sounds excellent.

We saw Prisoners last night, with Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Terrence Howard. Some good acting, creepy story, but it really didn't need to be so long.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Strangely, I was listening to Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me (NPR) over the weekend and the guest on their "Not My Job" segment was one of the people featured in the Seven Up series. Talk about coincidence!!

Death Note II - Follow-up to Death Note, which I reviewed earlier this month. It picked up exactly where the first one left off and wrapped up the story. I'm glad I watched to see where the story went, but it felt long. Probably because, between the two movies, it made one story nearly 5 hours long!

The Crash Reel - This is a documentary about Kevin Pearce. He was thought to be the main contender against Shawn White going into the 2012 Winter Olympics. However, in 2009 he was critically injured during training and suffered from a traumatic brain injury. This film looks at his childhood and family and leads up to how he was doing competitively prior to the accident. It then turns to look at his recovery process, and how his family is impacted and involved, as well as his desire to continue snowboarding and the risks involved. There was also some focus on the overall danger involved in this sport and other extreme sports where people continually try to push the limits. They showed some footage earlier in the film of Sarah Burke talking about Kevin, and I knew at that point they were going to eventually cover her accident as well. On the one hand these people are participating in an activity they clearly love, but on the other hand it is so tragic when one accident can take so much away. Overall I found it very interesting and well done.

+ Reply to Thread