+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Not today, but yesterday.
    The Notebook was on one of my movie channels yesterday. I saw it a couple of years ago, but rewatched it.

I had an odd week. I'll probably talk about here in another thread later, but I'm not ready yet. I haven't been able to get over it, so made no plans at all for this weekend with other people. I needed to be alone & decompress. I've been thinking I may have a light case of PTSD.

Anyhow, toward the end of The Notebook I just started crying darned near hysterically. The ending does really get to you, but this was way more. Afterwards I just kept on crying for about 15 minutes.
    Then I thought about the movie & why it brings on the tears, after all, it is a romance. I realize that while the story of the young people was great, it's the story of the old couple that does it. That part is so touching & beautiful at the end.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

FORT Fogey

It takes a couple of viewings of The Notebook to get the full beauty of the movie.

12 Years a Slave - I have to admit I really haven't been in the mood to watch a movie this heavy. It was very well done. The story was well told, and it was difficult to watch (as expected). Paul Dano and especially Michael Fassbender did good jobs playing detestable roles. Fassbender practically made my skin crawl. I didn't realize Benedict Cumberbatch was in this film. I really like him, so I'm happy to see him popping up all over the place in film lately! The lead, Chiwetel Ejiofor, did an excellent job and Lupita Nyong'o was heartbreaking as Patsey.

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug - Better pacing than the first Hobbit film. Overall, it was about what I expected - entertaining and beautiful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Not today, but yesterday.
    The Notebook was on one of my movie channels yesterday. I saw it a couple of years ago, but rewatched it.

I had an odd week. I'll probably talk about here in another thread later, but I'm not ready yet. I haven't been able to get over it, so made no plans at all for this weekend with other people. I needed to be alone & decompress. I've been thinking I may have a light case of PTSD.

Anyhow, toward the end of The Notebook I just started crying darned near hysterically. The ending does really get to you, but this was way more. Afterwards I just kept on crying for about 15 minutes.
    Then I thought about the movie & why it brings on the tears, after all, it is a romance. I realize that while the story of the young people was great, it's the story of the old couple that does it. That part is so touching & beautiful at the end.
    Welcome to the club. I nearly needed a sedative! Like you it was the old couple, especially James Garner. I grew up with the guy! Rockford Files!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Had a Michelle Pfeiffer/Robert De Niro movie fest today. The Family followed by Stardust. Loved them both!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

About Time - What a lovely movie! I had heard some good reviews, but I still wasn't all that excited about it because the premise didn't strike me as that interesting. It is kind of a rom-com-drama about a guy who learns (shortly after turning 21) that the men in his family have the ability to go back in time. It essentially gives him the chance to have do-overs when something doesn't go as he wanted. The story was well-paced and the decisions made by the main character were often interesting. It seems like the story line easily could have turned into an "abuse of power" story where the main character makes poor choices, but instead the main character stayed quite likeable even as he figured out that his choices could have unexpected consequences. It also turned out to be quite touching, I got a little teary more than once!

God Loves Uganda - This movie is a documentary that looks at the influence that US Christian fundamentalists have had over the views of the population of Uganda. I would be curious to know if people on the religious right think that the message of the film is biased against them. I thought it was interesting that the film gave voice to people on both sides of the "argument", and left it to the viewer to decide how they felt. I'm going to leave my comments at that because it seems like further comment could turn into a debate on the subject and that's not what this thread is for.
    SpringMaiden27 and AcookerTV like this.

This afternoon I saw Chef with John Favreau, John Leguizamo and Sofia Vergara, along with a host of other great actors. It was delightful; one of those movies that reminds me of why I love movies. Lots of people just talking to each other, music and FOOD. By the end of the movie we were starving! Luckily, this city has great restaurants, so we had a wonderful Cuban lunch afterward. Part of the movie was set in Miami and I was craving a Cubano sandwich for almost the entire movie!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Fort Member

A million ways to die in the west
    I liked it the story is not brilliant but it had some very funny moments
    not convined about Seth McFarlane as actor but he does make me laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    It looks like it would be an amusing enough rental.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    I also laugh at Seth McFarlane. My only problem with him is that with everything he does, he has to turn funny into funny/raunchy. A bit of raunchy humor can be fun or funny, but you need to know when to back off & not overdo. He doesn't seem to know that line.
    Raunchier doesn't mean funnier.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread