+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

August: Osage County - This is the Netflix synopsis:
    "When their father disappears, three strong-willed women return to their childhood home and to their equally strong-willed mother. As they search for their patriarch, the dysfunctional family members wind up facing difficult truths about themselves."

I read "strong-willed", and I think I incorrectly interpreted it as "strong". I expected to like these women, but they seemed to just blindly head down their current path without any introspection. The acting was very good. I sure never expected to see Benedict Cumberbatch pop up with a southern accent! It was definitely a "snapshot" movie. You get to see an excerpt from the lives of these people, and that's it. It left the stories hanging, and in this particular film I would have liked to see a bit more resolution.

Frozen - loved it. A children's story with a moral and the bad guys get put away.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Saving Mr. Banks - I knew the basic premise, but I didn't know that the story line with P.L. Travers and Walt Disney working to make the film would be interspersed with scenes from her childhood that basically explain the inspiration of the Mary Poppins story and why she felt so connected to it and was resistant to allowing any change. It was well done, and the acting was good. But for some reason I ended up without a strong feeling toward the characters, so it didn't pack a big emotional wallop for me.

Side note: Will I ever see Ruth Wilson and NOT hear Idris Elba calling her "Ah-leese" in the back of my mind!?
    libgirl2 likes this.

Philomena - Good movie with very good acting. However, I think I went in with my expectations too high because it somehow didn't quite measure up for me.

I knew in the beginning it wouldn't be a happy ending, so I got the tissues out. I did find it satisfying from her point of view, but not from the reporters'.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I knew in the beginning it wouldn't be a happy ending, so I got the tissues out. I did find it satisfying from her point of view, but not from the reporters'.
    I find it interesting that it was a happy ending for her and not necessarily for the audience or the reporter. She was portrayed as someone who had such a good view of life, almost childlike, content to a point even with all that happened to her. She accepted that this was the way things happened. The reporter was someone more jaded and in "the real world" he couldn't accept things. I kind of felt that together they were a good combination, but maybe we can learn something from her almost serene demeanor.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Forgiveness is what gave her that ending. He couldn't forgive.

I agree that the dichotomy in perspective between Philomena and the journalist was interesting.

I found myself wanting to know more about what happened to the son in his early life. It was so odd when they visited the sister and she asked nothing about her birth family. The journalist made a comment about it in the film, but the thread was abandoned. I realize it wasn't the focus of the movie, but I kind of wish they hadn't made a point to put the idea out there if they weren't going to give closure to it.

Last eve DH & I watched The Heat on HBO with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy.
    It was ok. Some funny parts. But geez, MM said the F word 100 million times throughout the movie. ugh.

Bullet to the Head with Sly Stallone. Was just meh.

DH and I are the worst at watching movies anyway unless it is absolutely AMAZING.
    We spend way too much time on our iPads. lol
    KAREN

Drive Angry with Nicolas Cage and Amber Heard... what a horrible movie! I had never heard of it and it was on ScyFy..... we should have known! Wow!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread