+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom - I thought Idris Elba did a nice job in the title role. I was a bit skeptical going in because he is a tall man, and I have always thought of Mandela as rather diminutive. The actress who played Winnie also did a very good job. My biggest complaint about the film was that I wanted to learn something new about Mandela and his journey, but it glossed over huge chunks of the story and left out information that could have been useful. For example, I know that the ANC is the African National Congress but many audience members may not. They started talking about the ANC with no definition or explanation of what is was, how it formed, what it represented, etc. Occasionally the film would tell the viewer what the year was, but it would also jump over chunks of years and not tell the viewer. At one point they implied that Winnie was associating with less-than-reputable people while Mandela was in jail. I wanted to know more about whether these people were affiliated with a more radical group and what the implications of that were. I was left thinking that I what I really need is a good documentary about Mandela that will tell me more and fill in the blanks that this film left me with.

The Summit - This was a fascinating documentary about the most deadly 48 hours in mountaineering history, during which 11 people died in the attempt to summit K2. It started out by saying that even the survivors couldn't really say for certain what went wrong, which sounds crazy, but then it does a really excellent job rolling out the story so that the viewer understands how it ended up this way. It was one of those stories where you know (for the most part) what is going to happen, but as you learn more about the people you still find yourself not wanting it to happen. This one is available on Netflix streaming.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Well, this past week:
    The Grey:
    Interesting, but possibly one of the most depressing movie I've ever watched. I had no clue Dallas Roberts (Milton, The Walking Dead) was in it and was pretty proud I spotted it half way through. (Well, it was the voice that gave it away finally, he looks so different in this movie) Hubby and I have a competition of sorts for spotting actors in movies or shows, that was a big point for me! I guess it's worth a watch, the cinematography is quite good and the acting is fair.

Zombieland- Finally. I was disappointed. It has tons of great lines and funny moments, but it just went no where. I admit I didn't watch the last 20 minutes, I was so bored with no plot whatsoever. And I tire of the apocalypse being an excuse for nerd writers writing so their nerd character ultimately and inevitably segues into another league. Isn't it cliche? Overdone. Tired.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

The Last Days on Mars, with Liev Schreiber and Elias Koteas. Basically it was zombies in space...I should have loved this but I didn't. Not terribly scary.

Also Man of Steel, which must be the 500th version of Superman they've made. While it was lovely watching Henry Cavill in the shirtless scenes, over two hours of him and Michael Shannon beating the living crap out of each other (while doing no damage) was a bit much. Well done but a little too long, IMO.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Starting Saturday, various networks had all sorts of Biblical Epics on. I didn't intend to make a marathon out of it, but I really got into them, especially yesterday (Easter). I watched:
    The Ten Commandments
    The Story of Ruth
    The Agony and the Ecstasy
    The Robe
    Ben Hur
    another one about Francis of Asissi, but I just couldn't get into that one, so turned it off.
    Charlton Heston seemed to be the go-to actor for this genre. Big, hunky, chisled features, commanding voice & presence. He really embodied the characters.
    I think just about everyone pictures Moses as looking & acting like Charlton Heston.

They just don't make movies like these anymore. They had really big name actors, directors, casts of thousands, expansive sets, etc.
    I guess the Bible & historical epics were a big deal then. Today, not so much.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

The Grand Budapest Hotel - I went to see this with my 18 year old son, and we had both really been looking forward to it. Last year we watched Moonrise Kingdom together and both really enjoyed it. I thought TGBH was better paced than MK, but overall I preferred MK. I think it came down to the fact that I liked the innocence of MK. There were a couple of moments in TGBH that I thought were gratuitously crude, and I thought the main character Gustav H was a rather detestable letch so I had a hard time rooting for him. It was fun watching for the cameos from famous actors. Wes Anderson seems to have an uncanny ability to get really famous people to take really minor roles in his films.

The Book Thief - It was okay, but it definitely paled in comparison to the book. The book was so delightfully interesting, and the film just wasn't successful in capturing that feeling.

Philomena, quite sad yet not sad. She really is a strong person. Heck anyone who made it through the Magdelene laundries and stayed fairly sane had to be. Between losing your child and the brutality of the work and some of the sisters, I don't think I could have. I did like that she was very clear that not all the nuns were bad and that they showed that. Judi Dench was wonderful and Steve Coogan was solid. I recommend it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Philomena, quite sad yet not sad. She really is a strong person. Heck anyone who made it through the Magdelene laundries and stayed fairly sane had to be. Between losing your child and the brutality of the work and some of the sisters, I don't think I could have. I did like that she was very clear that not all the nuns were bad and that they showed that. Judi Dench was wonderful and Steve Coogan was solid. I recommend it.
    We saw it Friday, it was a really great movie. 10/10
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I watched In Your Eyes, Joss Whedon's latest film, released online a few days ago. It wasn't a GREAT film, but it was an intriguing concept and the two leads were very compelling. Basically, a young man and woman discover that they can speak to each other as if they were in the same room and see through each other's eyes, even though they live thousands of miles away and have never met. A little different from a lot of Whedon's stuff, even with the metaphysical aspect. More romance and heavy drama than he usually gives, although there was humor and his usual smart dialogue.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Odd Thomas, a weird little comedy-horror-romance with Willem Dafoe and Anton Yelchin (who was perfect). Snappy writing and good effects...I really liked it, even if the ending was a bit sad.

And Bullet to the Head, a Stallone shoot 'em up. Predictable, but I mainly watched it to gawk at Jason Momoa.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

I didn't realize Odd Thomas has been made into a movie...I'll have to check it out.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread