+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree322Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Right now I am watching Monster with Charleze Theron. It's her Best Actress award movie from 2003. Seeing it again I really understand her winning the award, as she looks completely different in face and body for this role from the Charleze I see in the perfume commercial with Marilyn and Grace Kelley edited in. I think Charleze is the most beautiful star in Hollywood. (And I love that she and Sean Penn are together, two great actors!) Her depiction of Arleen Wournos is so very right on, she actually looks just like her, facial expressions, body language and all. She brings out the pathos and insecurity of this serial killer. Almost makes her sympathetic. In fact, for me, actually sympathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Right now I am watching Monster with Charleze Theron. It's her Best Actress award movie from 2003. Seeing it again I really understand her winning the award, as she looks completely different in face and body for this role from the Charleze I see in the perfume commercial with Marilyn and Grace Kelley edited in. I think Charleze is the most beautiful star in Hollywood. (And I love that she and Sean Penn are together, two great actors!) Her depiction of Arleen Wournos is so very right on, she actually looks just like her, facial expressions, body language and all. She brings out the pathos and insecurity of this serial killer. Almost makes her sympathetic. In fact, for me, actually sympathetic.
    Excellent movie!!
    Punkin likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Excellent movie!!
    Yes that is a great movie and she was wonderful in it.
    waywyrd likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I just saw Wes Anderson's wonderful The Grand Budapest Hotel. Anderson's movies are hit and miss for me. I love some and can barely get through others, even though I always appreciate his aesthetic. That being said, this was one of my favorites from Anderson. Just lovely and funny and really beautifully shot. Plenty of his usual cast of actors with a few additions, including the fabulous Ralph Fiennes. I loved it.
    SpringMaiden27 and wannasee like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

From the commercials, that one is definitely on my DVD to rent list. Did it have kind of a Pink Panther vibe to it?

Hobbit, the Desolation of Smaug, came in the mail yesterday and it was fascinating to view. I loved the light-hearted part of the barrels speeding down the river, the Orcs chasing them not so much. Was Cumberbach the lord of the tree elves and Bloom his son? Then Bloom is not from Rivendell where we see him in the first Lord of the Rings. Sorry, but I'm horrible remembering their character names. Anyway, I also loved Smaug in all his many titles bestowed upon him by Bilbo. I have questions, hopefully answered, in the next movie, such as what happens to all the gold left in the mountain because in the first Lord of the Rings, the mountain kingdom is bare and barren. It was fun, though, to hear it clinking and sliding as Smaug slithered around.

No, I haven't read the books as you could probably guess; but it will be hard to wait for the next movie to come to DVD.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-12-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Not really a Pink Panther thing. I'm glad I saw it on the big screen. The cinematography was fantastic.

Re: The Hobbit - the various factions all traveled to Rivendell in LOTR to meet. Legolas is from Mirkwood. The elf king Thrandiull, Legolas' father, was played by the gorgeous Lee Pace, not Benedict Cumberbatch (who voiced and did th emotion capture for Smaug and also plays the Necromancer).

I know I say this with lots of things, but it's worth it to read the book.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I know, I know...must read. I read the name Cumberbatch in the scroll and tried to find a role where I could place him, the elf king seemed the closest. But, now, I think about it, yessss...I hear him in Maug's voice.

About reading - I try, but in the case of the first G.R.R. Martin book, once it started getting twisty and terror started, I had to stop. I left Mother Snow in a harbor town on her way to the castle and her children. My feeble brain feels more in contact with YA fantasy and not intellectual fantasy; however, I do love the LOTR and Hobbit movies. Enough excuses...read the book!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

If it matters, Tolkien wrote The Hobbit for his young son, so it really isn't nearly as scary as the movies might indicate. It's actually quite sweet and funny on top of the adventure stuff.

FORT Fogey

I saw American Hustle and I don't get the hype. It was a fluff film. The only excellent acting for my money was DeNiro in a chilling cameo.
    I saw 12 Years a Slave and it amazed me. Not the type of movie I could watch more than once, but it was incredible. Totally worthy of the Oscars.
    I saw Gravity and thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    If it matters, Tolkien wrote The Hobbit for his young son, so it really isn't nearly as scary as the movies might indicate. It's actually quite sweet and funny on top of the adventure stuff.
    Thanks. I will give it a try. I really liked the barrel scene and could see how that might be written for a child.

+ Reply to Thread