+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

We just got home from seeing Divergent at the theater. We really enjoyed it.... kind of a cross between Hunger Games and Matrix. A little action, a little romance, a little sci-fi, something for everyone!
    momrek06 likes this.

Watched The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones this weekend and it was easily better than Twilight and I liked it even more than Hunger Games. Better story, better script, better actors and acting. Even a more believable romance/love triangle. I guess the market for tween movies made from YA novels must have been over-saturated because after seeing it, I was surprised this didn't do better in the theaters. I hope they continue on with the plans to make more films in the series.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Noah yesterday. It just wasn't that good a movie (aside from any religious issues you might have with it). Although seeing it during the 3-day pouring rainstorm seemed appropriate. ;^)
    beerbelly and Cornholio like this.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

We just got back from seeing Noah. To quote a friend of mine who is a hospital chaplain . . . "Hmmm. I must have missed Sunday School the week they told THAT version of the story."

Even so, I gave it a 6 out of 10, 'cause Russell Crowe looked so gorgeous with gray hair at the end.
    Punkin likes this.

Do they give Nephalim inhabiting the earth as a reason to kill all human creatures and hybrids? Also, if he and his family were the only humans left in the world, we would all spring from from inbreeding. Anyway - I won't see this until it hits DVD, but I'm am curious to see the Ark construction and special effects.
    Punkin likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Frozen - I watched this with my 9 year old daughter and it was really enjoyable. The story was fun and the ending was nice. Even my 13 year old son ended up sitting down to watch with us and enjoyed it. We all agreed that the animation was fantastic as well!

The Butler - Good movie and good acting, but fairly expected. It was Forrest Gump-ish in the way that incorporated history into the story, but didn't feel interesting or innovative in this case. Strangly, the thing that most caught me off-guard was the casting choices for the American presidents. John Cusak was Nixon and Alan Rickman played Regan!

Severus Snape as Regan?????
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Severus Snape as Regan?????
    Yes! Doesn't that sound completely crazy!?

He actually looked pretty good. I didn't recognize him until he started talking! You can see a photo at this link. Jane Fonda was Nancy Regan.
    http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/reagan...an-rickman.jpg

I also remembered two more that surprised me. Robin Williams was Eisenhower and Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette from True Blood) was Martin Luther King Jr.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Over in the RHoBH thread, I posted that the last ep of the reunion reminded me of a favorite movie of mine as a kid, The Watcher in the Woods. I've been watching BH for years and never put together that Kyle Richards was in it. On a whim, I ordered the DVD and it came today. While there was a LOT of over acting, I can see where my love of the macabre and weird films stems from. It's a 1980 Disney film, but super dark for Disney. And it has actual, notable actors including Bette Davis, David McCallum, and Carroll Baker. I wouldn't say it was the best movie ever, but it did hold up pretty well for what it is. The alternative endings though were a hoot. The primitive CG effects were worth the price ($8) of the DVD.

It's been the memory lane kind of week for me. The other day I rewatched Heathers after not having seen it in forever (though I was obsessed with it for a while in HS). EW.com has a great oral history of the making of the movie that inspired me to give it another look.

I just saw Thor The Dark World and it had a shocker ending. Somehow I knew Loki couldn't be really dead, but what has he done with Odin? After the main ending titles, there was a preview for either a new Thor movie or, perhaps, the Masters of the Universe that is coming up. Lady Sith and one of the warriors delivered an ominous box to The Collector. After they left he turned sinister saying, "One down, five to go."

So, the ending left a lot of room for more adventure.

Oh, it is advisable to watch The Avengers beforehand as there are many references within the film.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-11-2014 at 12:49 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread