+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    libgirl, there is an excellent movie about that era called Swing Kids. It's a 1993 film starring Christian Bale and Robert Shawn Leonard as young men in pre WWII Germany who love jazz and swing dancing. The music and dancing from that era are wonderfully done (I recently rewatched and was amazed at what good dancers those two young actors were). This music and dance were banned in Hitler's Germany and the story centers on how this group of friends stay true to each other and their passion under such a repressive regime. I saw it on Netflix.
    Yes, I remember when that movie came out! I loved CB back then..... just knew he would be a big star. I have seen parts of it here and there. I think I have to pick it up and watch the whole thing. I'm sure the library has a copy.
    Punkin likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    The new Veronica Mars movie. LOVED. IT. A perfect reward to all the marshmallows who still miss the show, although it made me mad at the CW all over again for canceling the show.

Lots of classic Veronica snarkiness and Logan brooding, along with tons of characters from the show and a pretty satisfying ending. The movie had plenty of nods to the TV fans, but I think the uninitiated will enjoy it too.....and then go home and hunt down the DVDs to see what they missed!
    Watched Veronica Mars tonight. You can rent it on U-verse. Loved it. According to news reports, the kickstarter campaign raised enough money for another movie and I feel like the ending did set up the possibility of another movie. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Katydyd likes this.

FORT Fogey

I watched About Time last night. I was expecting a Rachel McAdams cheese fest, and was very pleasantly surprised by what I got instead. By the end, I just kept saying wow. What a great movie!
    Realitychick and AZChristian like this.

Watched Veronica Mars lat night, and absolutely agree with everyone else who said they loved it! It was smart of them to open in limited run theaters and on VOD at the same time. It actually played in my city, but I was busy that weekend and couldn't make it. It would have been fun to watch with a crowd of fellow Marshmallows, but it was wonderfully familiar to curl up under a fuzzy blanket on the couch and watch on the small screen too. And I agree short_lived, they set it up perfectly for a sequel with
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Weevil going undercover back to his old gang. At least I'm assuming the leather jacket and riding off on the motorcycle was a front. No way with that beautiful wife and daughter was he really going back to his old ways!
    With so much corruption still going on in Neptune, there's plenty for Veronica and Co. to do I gotta say though, I really have that day after Christmas let down. Seeing the movie just made me miss having the show on all the more. I really hope this movie earns enough for them to go forward with a sequel!
    short_lived likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

We watched Saving Mr. Banks. A real nice film. Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson are effortless.... the whole staff was great. After seeing the film I read up about the real PL Travers. Wow, the movie really sugar coated the ending! She was some piece of work.
    AZChristian likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Did you watched all the way through the credits? They have the recording of the REAL Travers playing, and you're right . . . there was no spoonful of sugar in her attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Did you watched all the way through the credits? They have the recording of the REAL Travers playing, and you're right . . . there was no spoonful of sugar in her attitude.
    I didn't get to that! Darn!

Quote Originally Posted by short_lived View Post
    Watched Veronica Mars tonight. You can rent it on U-verse. Loved it. According to news reports, the kickstarter campaign raised enough money for another movie and I feel like the ending did set up the possibility of another movie. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    I found it online for free

I'd be thrilled if they did a second movie. I don't want to say goodbye to Neptune forever. I'd love a movie or two every year....they could do it on Netflix. I bet they'd have a lot of happy fans!
    Katydyd likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I watched "Kill Your Darlings" on VOD yesterday. It was really interesting, and based on a true story. I definitely enjoyed it, and I'll be checking out some of Ginsberg's poetry as well as Borrough's "Naked Lunch." And, sad to say, I've never read "On the Road"....I'll be fixing that soon! Anyway, Daniel Radcliffe plays a young Allen Ginsberg, during his Columbia years. He and Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs were all friends with Lucien Carr and a man named David Kammerer. In the movie, Lucien and David were clearly more than friends (how much of this was one-sided seems to up for debate in "real life"), and Allen is quickly drawn to Lucien as well. The story is really about the genesis of the Beat Generation, and the interactions of these 5 men. One of the men ends up murdered (I'm probably not giving away any spoilers when I say it's not Jack, William or Allen ), another goes to jail for the crime. I'll put this out there just in case - if anyone is offended by homosexual content, this is probably not the movie for you. But you'd be missing out. Fun fact - Lucien Carr is the father of Caleb Carr, who wrote "The Alienist."
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I finally got to watch World War Z the other night. A bit of a departure from the book, but I didn't mind that - and I didn't mind Brad Pitt like I thought I would. The special effects were great.
    AJane likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread