+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

We went to see "Non-Stop." I love me some Liam Neeson.

That said, we rated it a 7 out of 10. There were lots of red herrings to make you wonder who the villain might be. I picked up on a clue that normally would have gone over my head, so I had a pretty good idea of the person's involvement.

The funnest thing was seeing Lady Mary Crawley in a totally different role . . . no hoity-toity accent . . . just regular British.

The movie was pretty good until the last 5 minutes, which crossed the line into unbelievable. And the ending was disappointing. But not enough to ruin the whole film.

The new Veronica Mars movie. LOVED. IT. A perfect reward to all the marshmallows who still miss the show, although it made me mad at the CW all over again for canceling the show.

Lots of classic Veronica snarkiness and Logan brooding, along with tons of characters from the show and a pretty satisfying ending. The movie had plenty of nods to the TV fans, but I think the uninitiated will enjoy it too.....and then go home and hunt down the DVDs to see what they missed!
    Katydyd likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    We just saw "Son of God." With my screen name, I'm pretty sure you can guess my religious persuasion.

One of the tenets of my faith is honesty. This was NOT a very good movie. I rated it 3 out of 10. After the movie, my husband said exactly what I had been thinking . . . it was just like going to the Holy Land Experience in Orlando.

We both fell asleep twice.
    I was looking forward to this, but putting your screen name & assessment of it in perspective, I think I'll wait for it to come out on rental or maybe even on TV.
    Somehow I'm less prone to be critical of a movie if I'm watching it on my own TV.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

This has been a docudrama night at Netlix streaming for me. I already posted about Pressure Cooker in the Hells Kitchen thread, and this next one I could post in the Project Runway thread, but I'll mention it here.

The Tents tells about the rise and fall of The Tents in Bryant Park and what they meant to the Fashion Industry in NYC. It was filmed through the last show - Tommy Hilfinger - and ended with showing the new venue at Lincoln Center. The film opens with Carson Kressly and (after the credits) ends with Carson Kressly, who is as funny as usual.

There are a lot of Carolina Herrera, Donna Karan and Betsy Johnson interviews with Zac Pozen, Tommy Hilfinger and many others along with and a memory from Christian Siriano. Nina Garcia gives the abbreviated history of the start of Project Runway. You see front of the house and back of the house and all the people that made it happen such as Fern Mallin. If you love fashion and a brief history of NYC fashion, this is a terrific documentary.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I binge documentaries on Netflix too, Ariel. I love them. I watched First Position last night. It follows several young ballet dancers as they prepare and compete in the Youth America Grand Prix, a prestigious competition, in NYC. All very talented kids, but a few that are absolutely amazing.

I also watched The Sapphires a charming Australian film starring mostly unknown (outside Australia, I'd guess) actors and Chris O'Dowd, who most would know from Bridesmaids (although I know him from The IT Crowd..."Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?" ) It was about a group of four young aboriginal women in the late 60's, who form a singing group and travel to Vietnam to entertain the troops. Kind of predictable, but really charming and with great music (mostly Motown). I really liked it.

Not a movie, but now I'm binge watching the UK series Waking the Dead, about a cold case unit solving old crimes. Really smart and well acted.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Dallas Buyers Club - I went in skeptical of all the hype about Matthew McConaughey. However, I was impressed again. I recently thought he did a fine job in Mud and True Detective, but this was really a step beyond. He was nearly unrecognizable. He looked entirely unwell at the beginning of the film. In addition to the physical transformation, the transformation of the character was also quite well done. He starts out extremely bigoted against homosexuals and his perspective changes as he is shunned by his "friends" and finds acceptance and compassion in this other community.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Dallas Buyers Club - I went in skeptical of all the hype about Matthew McConaughey. However, I was impressed again. I recently thought he did a fine job in Mud and True Detective, but this was really a step beyond. He was nearly unrecognizable. He looked entirely unwell at the beginning of the film. In addition to the physical transformation, the transformation of the character was also quite well done. He starts out extremely bigoted against homosexuals and his perspective changes as he is shunned by his "friends" and finds acceptance and compassion in this other community.
    We really enjoyed it as well.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Sunset Strip, a documentary (SHO) about the legendary nightlife on the famous strip. From the Garden of Allah and Chateau Marmont of the 20's through 40's, the Whiskey-a-Go-Go of 60's through 70's and Viper Room of the 90's, all the eras that brought entertainment to this magical one and half miles of Hollywood and the stars that hung out and played in the clubs. It was wonderful! I especially liked the earlier eras with the silent stars to Monroe and the Brat pack.

I watched a really interesting documentary called Television Under the Swastika. It was about Nazi run television which started prior to the war. The coverage of the Berlin Olympics was interesting. How they filmed it etc... There is also one very unsettling scene that sent chills down my spine. The announcer was talking about musicians who want to "do their own thing" and how they will get send to a "concert camp" etc... said creepily and with a smile. Ugh!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

libgirl, there is an excellent movie about that era called Swing Kids. It's a 1993 film starring Christian Bale and Robert Shawn Leonard as young men in pre WWII Germany who love jazz and swing dancing. The music and dancing from that era are wonderfully done (I recently rewatched and was amazed at what good dancers those two young actors were). This music and dance were banned in Hitler's Germany and the story centers on how this group of friends stay true to each other and their passion under such a repressive regime. I saw it on Netflix.

+ Reply to Thread