+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Despicable Me 2 - Bought it for the kids for Christmas, but hadn't actually sat down to watch it with them until recently. I didn't think I was going to like Gru as much since he wasn't the "bad guy" anymore, but it was quite enjoyable!

The Lone Ranger - I went in with LOW expectations, and I didn't completely hate it. A lot of the special effects were well done, but too many of them were entirely off the wall. Particularly with the stuff the horse was doing. There were also naggy things that annoyed me, like the Lone Ranger getting shot in the shoulder and then continuing on like it had never happened. At 2.5 hours, it was TOO long. I also wasn't expecting the level of violence. It wasn't very bloody or gory, but I wasn't expecting to have to pause the film to explain some "native peoples vs white man" history to my daughter.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - I had heard so ho-hum previews of this movie, and ended up pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed it! It looked very nice, and I thought it did a good job setting up for the rest of the story. I am annoyed that the last book is being split into two films. I think the decision was just a greedy choice so the film makers can rake in the dollars from two releases. It is unnecessary and will likely hurt the story.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

We just saw "Son of God." With my screen name, I'm pretty sure you can guess my religious persuasion.

One of the tenets of my faith is honesty. This was NOT a very good movie. I rated it 3 out of 10. After the movie, my husband said exactly what I had been thinking . . . it was just like going to the Holy Land Experience in Orlando.

We both fell asleep twice.
    libgirl2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    We just saw "Son of God." With my screen name, I'm pretty sure you can guess my religious persuasion.

One of the tenets of my faith is honesty. This was NOT a very good movie. I rated it 3 out of 10. After the movie, my husband said exactly what I had been thinking . . . it was just like going to the Holy Land Experience in Orlando.

We both fell asleep twice.
    Oh dear, that's never a good sign, the sleeping part that is. I wasn't on planning to see this, thanks AZ
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Gravity. When we upgraded to a 60' Smart TV last year we opted to get the Samsung with 3D. Needless to say, the 3D novelty wore off very quickly and although, when switched on to that mode and with the glasses, everything - even commercials - looks 3D'ish, it's not the same as theater 3D. But Comcast was offering Gravity, Gravity HD, and Gravity 3D so we paid a little extra and watched the 3D version. It was great! Just like at the theater. I was on the edge of my seat throughout! What an amazing actress she is! And how on earth (pun there) did they film all that weightlessness??? We loved it!

Here's something interesting:

New app could be Hollywood

New app could be Hollywood’s Napster moment

Fifteen years ago, Napster devastated the music business by making song stealing easy. Is it Hollywood’s turn now?

The new free app Popcorn Time looks a lot like a Napster for movies, or maybe Netflix (NFLX). The open-source software runs on almost any computer -- Windows, Mac or Linux -- and acts as an easy-to-use front end to the vast stash of pirated movies and TV shows sloshing around on the Internet.

The pirated videos, often uploaded from copies given out by Hollywood studios, end up online via BitTorrent, a huge but somewhat disorganized network of people sharing files on the Internet. It wasn’t easy to find any particular title until an unknown group of programmers, who say only that they live in Buenos Aires, created Popcorn Time.

There was plenty of stolen music on the Internet before Napster but it was hard to find. It’s the same with movies today. The most pirated titles include all the major hits but finding those movies and then downloading them is a complex process. And sometimes a 20-minute download ends up with a corrupted or poor quality file.

Popcorn Time makes it as easy to find an illegal copy of American Hustle as it would be to search for a movie on Netflix or Hulu. And it also lets the user watch the movie streaming, without having to wait for the whole file to download.

The software also creates a free alternative to popular streaming services like Hulu and Netflix, which has been cutting back sharply on its library of classic and hit movies.

Still, there is at least one major practical hurdle preventing Popcorn Time from Napsterizing movies. The software runs only on desktop and laptop computers. That means it doesn’t run on big screen TVs, which most people prefer at home, or tablets, the top platform for watching on the go.

It’s also legally risky to download pirated movies. Hollywood studios, like the record labels before them, have been suing ordinary folk who they tracked using BitTorrent to grab pirated videos.

The legality of the software itself may be a bit murkier. There is no fee, no ads, and Popcorn the website isn’t hosting any illegal movies.

The website warns that it may be illegal in some places to download movies via the app. The site’s FAQ also starts with a question about legality. "Depends on where you're from, really,” Popcorn Time states. "Once again: we're using torrents, so if you really care, you'd better google what the legal situation around these protocol is where you live."

Piracy hasn’t hurt Hollywood much so far. The total U.S. box office last year was a record $10.9 billion and the most pirated movies of 2013 were also very successful at the box office: "The Hobbit" was #1 followed by "Django Unchained" and "Fast & Furious 6."

The industry used to throw around huge made up numbers estimating their lost sales due to piracy — like $58 billion — but last year they agreed with some academic research that put the losses at $2 billion to $3 billion, at least in the United States.

But if too many people starting watching Popcorn, that could change — and at Internet speed.
    I'm always leery of trying things like this. Anybody interested in trying it and reporting back?

If anyone tries it, they can't comment on it here. We're owned by TV Guide. Any discussion, endorsement, etc. of sites that pirate copyrighted material could get TVG into legal trouble. We realize these sites exist, but we can't host any discussion about them.
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    If anyone tries it, they can't comment on it here. We're owned by TV Guide. Any discussion, endorsement, etc. of sites that pirate copyrighted material could get TVG into legal trouble. We realize these sites exist, but we can't host any discussion about them.
    Interesting. I didn't know we were owned. I thought we were totally independant.
    That does make sense though. Anything that is illegal or borderline illegal shouldn't be endorsed or discussed on an open forum anyhow.
    I know, it's the goody-goody in me.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I love that movie, but I still cringe about Andrew McCarthy's horrible wig at the prom. In my alternate ending, Andie sees his hair and chooses Ducky (just like she did in the original ending)
    I watched this again with one of my 13 year old girls the other day. She was Team Ducky all the way! She thought Andrew McCarthy looked "greasy"
    Congratulations Mickey and Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Interesting. I didn't know we were owned. I thought we were totally independant.
    That does make sense though. Anything that is illegal or borderline illegal shouldn't be endorsed or discussed on an open forum anyhow.
    I know, it's the goody-goody in me.
    From 2007: FORT Joins TVGuide.com Network
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Oops! Sorry. I know I have read that we were sold to TV Guide, but they don't seem to have a heavy presence here. So it is hard to remember. Thanks for making that clear. It seemed a less than above-board way to go anyway. Should have thought better than to post this here. Can you erase it?

+ Reply to Thread