+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

FORT Fogey

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Did you see this?
    Oscars kill nomination for best song contender 'Alone Yet Not Alone' | Inside Movies | EW.com
    I guess we know how that song - from a move that NO ONE had heard of - got a nomination.
    I was just coming to post the link from the LA Times regarding this! I had posted earlier about it how was reported the song got the nomination, and turns out that's frowned upon. Wow!

LA Times

That is very interesting. I am somewhat surprised at the action since Hollywood seems to be such an old boys network. I don't think it was the campaigning itself but the sort of conflict of interest due to the position of the composer. I don't have anything against the song itself - it's rather pretty and seems integral to the movie. I actually was less impressed with the nomination for Happy from Despiciable Me 2. Not that that's a bad song either but it didn't exactly blow my skirts up. Neither did the one from "Her" although not having seen that movie, I can't speak to how it fits with it.

It was also interesting to me to see the "also rans" for the category. I do wish that the board had replaced the song with one of those. Preferably, "I See Fire" from the Hobbit which I thought perfectly captured the mood of the movie and is awesome in it's own right. I can't stop listening to it on You Tube. From what they have, I think the song from Frozen should win but probably the one from the Mandela movie because of the PC'ness of it.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I recently shut off cable tv and got Netflix so have started watching more movies. We watched Pitch Perfect, a film about a cappella groups - it was quirky enough to entertain both my husband and I. At first I thought he would leave the room when it started, but it was silly enough to keep us watching and laughing. I also recently saw The Descendents, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Tangled. I liked all of those, too. I will be reading this thread more often as I see some good ideas that others have recommended.

FORT Fogey

I watched Fruitvale Station over the weekend and thought it was excellent. I's the kind of movie that should be required viewing for most people. I though they way they told the story was very very effective. It gave you an understanding of the life that Oscar lived, which really helped you to understand why he and his friends reacted the way they did on the train platform. It was heartbreaking.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    Hubby and I saw Her last night. We never intended to see this movie but due to circumstances beyond our control....

Anyway, that's two hours of my life I'll never get back again. HOW did this movie get so many thumbs up reviews? Sooooooooo stupid and almost frightening...which, I guess, is the point.
    I can believe it. I know lots of people whose phone seems to be the most important thing in their life to them. They are constantly holding it, looking at it, responding to it.......it's unreal... but it is real. lol

Rush I didn't think I would enjoy it, although I love formula one etc. But it was good
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

We just watched Bad Grandpa over the weekend. My stomach hurt so much from all the laughing by the end. I don't watch the Jackass stuff, but this was really not like that at all. So freaking funny and Jackson Nicoll who played Billy, was a great straight man. I don't know how he didn't bust out laughing at some of the things they did. I would love to see the bloopers lol. There were four of us watching, and all of us were busting our gut at laughing so hard.

Rush is up this weekend. Love me some Chris Hemsworth. Yum!
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    We just watched Bad Grandpa over the weekend. My stomach hurt so much from all the laughing by the end. I don't watch the Jackass stuff, but this was really not like that at all. So freaking funny and Jackson Nicoll who played Billy, was a great straight man. I don't know how he didn't bust out laughing at some of the things they did. I would love to see the bloopers lol. There were four of us watching, and all of us were busting our gut at laughing so hard.
    I was never a Jackass fan either, but for some reason I really want to see this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

We watched The Impossible, a 2012 film about the tsunami in 2004 that hit southeast Asia. The movie is set in Thailand and is based on a true story. My husband and I were riveted by it although there were a number of scenes that I couldn't watch due to the blood and guts factor. Good movie!
    waywyrd and ClosetRTWatcher like this.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I was never a Jackass fan either, but for some reason I really want to see this.
    It's hysterical. And its not like Jackass - just doing stunts to see how far you can go. There was a storyline to follow, full of pranks on real people (they had to sign releases). Way good. I am hoping for another one!
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread