+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Has anyone (Critical?) seen Alone, Yet Not Alone? I was perusing the list of Oscar noms and saw this and when I looked it up on IMDB saw it was released last year but I'm sure I've never heard a thing about it.
    ETA: The song from the movie is what is nominated, not the movie itself (that I could see)
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Lone Survivor is the movie I want to see. I've heard it is phenomenal.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I went to see August Osage County last night. I'm glad I did, but be prepared! Many people in the theater were walking out after it was over saying it was horrible and the worst movie they had seen. It's good, but over the top at times to the point people were laughing in dramatic parts. I had to go in line after to read about the play and figure out how it won a Pulitzer. General consensus is that it is a dark comedy, and the film went for being a drama.
    Saw this last night, and what a group of wholly unlikeable characters they were! Had to create an intermission, they were so caustic. Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts definitely earned their academy award nominations. There were some comedic moments, but mostly it was just grinding family drama.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    Has anyone (Critical?) seen Alone, Yet Not Alone? I was perusing the list of Oscar noms and saw this and when I looked it up on IMDB saw it was released last year but I'm sure I've never heard a thing about it.
    ETA: The song from the movie is what is nominated, not the movie itself (that I could see)
    I heard on Entertainment Weekly radio that the producer for this film asked his contacts in the music portion of the academy to nominate the song for this very reason. No one was aware of the movie, but if the song got nominated, it would create buzz for the movie. Evidently it's a Christian movie of some sort. I don't fault the guy for using the resources available to him. I'm sure these kinds of phone calls were flying all over the place regarding several categories. It's always interesting to see how the nominees settle out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    I hadn't heard of it until the Oscar nominations came out! I did a little reading about it and, honestly, it's not really a movie I'd be interested in. Sounds like something that would air on the Hallmark Channel. Weird that the song got nominated.

I've had August: Osage County queued up for days, but I can't bring myself to watch it. I usually try to watch as many of the Oscar nominated movies as possible before the awards show, but I'm finding it hard to want to watch some of them. I already won't see The Wolf of Wall Street, but so many of the others are either depressing or just plain upsetting.

I watched Before Midnight the other night. I just LOVE this series. I'm not an Ethan Hawke fan, but his chemistry with Julie Delpy keeps me coming back. It's just people talking, but I love it. This is how people talk. It's not how script writers think people should talk. I'd love for this series to just continue and we can catch up with Jesse and Celine every 8-10 years.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Saw American Hustle yesterday.
    It was good, but I did not think it is worthy of Best Picture.
    I do think Christain Bale, as always, is really good.
    Amy Adams was OK, but I felt that it would have been wiser to cast Jennifer Lawrence in that role. Jennifer Lawrence lights up the screen anytime she's on! Just a terrific actress!
    The movie went on overly long, I thought. And, the first hour plus felt very tedious
    Much preferred the director's Silver Linings Playbook to AH.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    Saw American Hustle yesterday.
    It was good, but I did not think it is worthy of Best Picture.
    I do think Christain Bale, as always, is really good.
    Amy Adams was OK, but I felt that it would have been wiser to cast Jennifer Lawrence in that role. Jennifer Lawrence lights up the screen anytime she's on! Just a terrific actress!
    The movie went on overly long, I thought. And, the first hour plus felt very tedious
    Much preferred the director's Silver Linings Playbook to AH.

We saw it tonight, meh, it was okay-certainly not worthy of best picture imho.Unless the others were lousy
    norealityhere likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I finally went today to see Nebraska and I LOVED it! The story was heartwarming, funny, heartbreaking, and made a lot of true observations about life. The cinematography was out of this world ... One of the only movies I've seen where I actually noticed, appreciated and took in the cinematography. And the acting was great too. I loved, loved, loved this movie! I'm so glad Will Forte is charming in interviews to make me want to see it!

Across the Universe - Watched this because I have a co-worker who loved it and lent me the disc. I'm glad I watched it, but I didn't love it. I liked the male lead, but I thought the female lead was really boring and that impacted my desire to see them together as a couple. Some of the other supporting cast was really good. However, there were large chunks of the movie where I felt my attention wandering.

We're the Millers - Overall it was funny, but a little too crude for my taste. I don't care for Jennifer Anniston in these raunchy roles. I'm always mixing up Jason Sudekis and Ed Helms, so to have them show up in the same film blew my mind a little!

FORT Fogey

As part of my Oscar movie binge, I went today to see Dallas Buyers Club. It was good and I'm glad I saw it. Jennifer Garner was perfectly cast. Jared Leto was great. Matthew McConauhey was great, but I can't say it was a role where I forgot it was him. Having seen it the day after I saw Nebraska, I'm sorry Bruce Dern isn't the one whose been winning all the awards. Both were good, but I think Dern added something extra special getting you to love a character after showing you he's an a-hole.
    norealityhere likes this.

+ Reply to Thread