+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Me too! I was surprised by how good it was -- and by his acting. Doubly surprised that he wrote and directed it. It was an honest glimpse into the psyche of a sexually immature man.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Beyond the Candelabra with Michael Douglas and Matt Damon. Really good! I've had it available to me on HBO for some time but didn't think I'd like it. I really did! The acting was great and a good story too!

Funny how people who were fans of Liberace and Rock Hudson, and of so many others that had rumors of homosexuality bandied about them, refused to agree their favorites could be gay. There was much evidence, but their press agents kept secrets quiet and the public didn't want to know. How different things are now. No privacy for public figures is respected anymore.
    Last edited by Punkin; 01-07-2014 at 09:15 PM.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

I watched About Time with Domhnall Gleeson, Rachel McAdams and Bill Nighy last night. Just lovely. It's a romantic comedy, but not typical at all. Gleeson plays Tim, a young man who, on his 21st birthday is told by his father (Nighy) that the men in their family can travel in time. Tim decides he wants to use his ability to find love. RA is the love interest in question. Sweet, funny and with lots of good supporting characters as well as a lot of emotion surrounding the father-son relationship. I cried through most of the last 30 minutes.....the ugly cry. I think some issues in my personal life probably influenced that, but I didn't think the emotion in the movie was manipulative. It wasn't a sad movie at all; just very poignant. One of the better romantic comedies I've seen.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

I liked the movie as well though it seemed to be more of a father-son story than a romantic comedy. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the promo really pushed the romance angle up a lot.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

You're right - it wasn't a "straight" romantic comedy. I thought it did a nice job of blending the family relationships with his romantic one. When you say "time travel," I think sci-fi, but it definitely didn't feel that way. I liked that it was unique and felt authentic while using a pretty impossible plot device.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Oh no - not the Ugly cry.
    I may have to pass on that one. Thanks for the warning.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Ah, my favorite time of year - when the Oscar screeners get uploaded and I can watch them all online!

Today, I watched Dallas Buyers Club and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty....that last one wasn't an Oscar trailer, it was something that got leaked by someone at the Ellen show.

DBC was very good, although I'm just not a Matthew McConaughey fan. He was fine, but I still just don't like him. People keep talking about this amazing transformation, but that's just appearance. I applaud him for going for meatier roles, but he's not quite there yet. Jared Leto was fantastic. I totally understand all the awards buzz about him. The film definitely didn't paint the FDA and the pharma industry in a flattering light.

I'm not a huge Ben Stiller fan - I don't like OR dislike him. That being said, I really enjoyed him as Walter Mitty. I thought it reinvented the story in a cool and original way - I say this and I usually don't like remakes. I liked the film as a whole and the cinematography was terrific.

I've got 12 Years a Slave queued up, but I can't bring myself to watch. I both really want to see it and really don't want to see it. I might be too emotionally sensitive. I also want to watch Rush and August: Osage County, so maybe I'll do those first....and Saving Mr. Banks too.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    Oh no - not the Ugly cry.
    I may have to pass on that one. Thanks for the warning.
    NO, don't pass on it. It was pretty terrific. Like I said, there are some events in my personal life that made it more emotional for me. For most people, it would probably just be really poignant.

FORT Fogey

I went to see August Osage County last night. I'm glad I did, but be prepared! Many people in the theater were walking out after it was over saying it was horrible and the worst movie they had seen. It's good, but over the top at times to the point people were laughing in dramatic parts. I had to go in line after to read about the play and figure out how it won a Pulitzer. General consensus is that it is a dark comedy, and the film went for being a drama.

I noticed on Friday that Comcast (maybe just in my area?) has some HBO/Maxx movies and series free on demand so I watched quite a bit this weekend.
    Behind the Candelabra...man that was good. Made me love Matt Damon even more. Learned alot about Liberace that I didn't know.
    Admission..I am a big Paul Rudd Fan, and not a big Tina Fey fan but I liked this movie a lot, it endeared Tina Fey to me a bit more. I kinda saw the end coming way before it happened, but I didn't mind
    This is 40- LOVED this one, favorite of those that I saw this weekend. Being closer to 40 than I am 30 a lot of this hit home for me, I think that's why it was so funny. Like I said before, I love me some Paul Rudd so I was assuming it would be at least be somewhat good, but it was better than I expected.
    Identity Thief- Eh. I love Jason Bateman. Im still on the fence about Melissa McCarthy. To me this movie was just OK, nothing fantastic.

There are a couple more I am interested in seeing but didn't get to, the only one I can think of right off the top of my head is Argo.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

The East - This movie is about a woman who works for a company that tries to stop corporate terrorism, essentially by infiltrating the terrorist groups. She is assigned to track down a group called The East and then gets drawn into the group enough to understand the type of corporate greed they are fighting against. The acting was good. It was pretty one-sided in its view. There is a scene early on where they show the leader of this group and he has kind of a "very messy Jesus look" going on with very long brown hair and beard. Then he started talking and I realized it was Alexander Skarsgaard! My older teen son has been watching True Blood also, so I made him watch the same scene so I could see him have the same reaction!!

+ Reply to Thread