+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

I still haven't gotten around to finishing it. It usually takes me a while to fully get into a movie. I gave Hunger Games 4 / 5 despite me taking quite a while to get into it.

I like Steve Martin. He's not the best actor but he's funny without seeming stupid.

FORT Fogey

Saw Runner Runner. Lacked any tension, and could see the outcome easily. But, simple Fall fare is not a bad thing. Not great, not bad.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Watched The Master on cable last night with Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams. I think all 3 of them received Academy nominations, but oh my word, Joaquin was outstanding! We kept waiting and waiting for something to happen (plot wise) but it never did. I don't remember if this movie got any buzz or not when it was in the theatres. Perhaps, it was airing at the same time as certain blockbusters. I can't say I would recommend it, as it dragged a bit, but the acting was outstanding from all 3 principals, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Watched The Master on cable last night with Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams. I think all 3 of them received Academy nominations, but oh my word, Joaquin was outstanding! We kept waiting and waiting for something to happen (plot wise) but it never did. I don't remember if this movie got any buzz or not when it was in the theatres. Perhaps, it was airing at the same time as certain blockbusters. I can't say I would recommend it, as it dragged a bit, but the acting was outstanding from all 3 principals, imo.
    I was bored to tears ECM I thought it was awful
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I heard a couple of reviews that said the same thing. Boring, but Joaquin did a fantastic job. I haven't put it on my list because I don't think great acting is quite enough to override the boring!

A New Leaf - Elaine May and Walter Matthau Still too sweet

Fail Safe - Still scarier than most any horror flick imaginable

We watched The Way, Way Back and absolutely loved it. By the group that brought us Little Miss Sunshine and the two writers who won for the screenplay of The Descendents, both of which I also adored. By the way, one of those writers is the actor who plays the Dean on Community, and is one of my favourite characters on that show. The two writers also have parts in TWWB.

It's a great coming of age film, with wonderful performances by Sam Rockwell, Toni Colette, Steve Carrell, and one of my favourite actresses, Alison Janney. Liam James, who plays Duncan, is such a treat to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
    A New Leaf - Elaine May and Walter Matthau Still too sweet

Fail Safe - Still scarier than most any horror flick imaginable
    A New Leaf is one of my all time favorites.

Another that I just watched on TCM this week is Enter Laughing whose cast includes Shelly Winters, David Opatashu, Jack Guilford, Jose Ferrer, Elaine May, Herbie Faye, Nancy Kovack, Janet Margolin, and introducing Reni Santoni.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

We have been re-watching all the Child's Play movies this weekend. Hey, it's almost Halloween. Also, the latest one went straight-to-video and we are preparing to watch it. I forgot how hilarious Jennifer Tilly was in Bride of Chucky.

AMC is finally starting Fear Fest. Horror for the rest of the month! Unfortunately they are re-running a lot of stuff from last year, and not the most original films - looks like at least 2 Friday the 13th marathons - but I do have Puppetmaster ready to be PVR'd. Hoping they throw in a couple more good ones.
    JohnnyK likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I'd like to start watching movies again.

I still haven't even finished Roxanne.

I dunno the main reason I started watching these movies is because I was interested in how I'd react and how I'd rate them afterwards. But maybe it was for mostly nothing.

+ Reply to Thread