+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree212Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

I went ahead and watched Little Miss Sunshine as well.

Hm. I'm not sure what to think about it, to be honest.

The actors and characters were good. The story, I don't know. It was a road trip movie - New Mexico to California (for a child beauty pageant, which, for the record, I am not a fan of), with certain things happening along the way, which emphasized each character (grandpa dying, vow of silence being broken, reuniting with former flame, etc). I liked the soundtrack.

I found myself liking the movie throughout most of the scenes, finding humor in some, and a couple felt slow-moving and a bit uninteresting.

What lessons does the movie teach? I don't know. Don't be what society expects you to be. Be yourself and if you're different from what people expect of you in certain situations, so be it. That's the way you should be.

I'm sure there's more I'm not seeing.

I hear that the movie received very positive reviews.

Hmm.

It wasn't bad. Was it great? I don't know. I'll give it a 3.5 / 5 and see what happens.

I will soon be watching National Security with Martin Lawrence.

I don't have great hopes because I remember finding Martin annoying, not funny, and a mediocre actor.

But let's see what I think now.

*sigh* So I am finished.

Yeah. My opinion on Martin Lawrence still stands.

In this movie he plays a hypocritical douchebag security guard who gets a cop (Steve Zahn) fired from his job and locked up for six months after insincere accusations of racist cop brutality.

Then what happens? They happen to run into eachother again after Steve's sentence. Throughout the movie, they (both as security guards at this point) work together in taking down a group of villains.

But since I'm not a great recapper I'll just leave it at that.

Steve, to me, was a lot more enjoyable than Martin. Martin (who's black) usually pegs everything as racism, and, in most cases, I find that annoying. "Can you pick a lock?" "Why because I'm black?" "Does it look I'm trying to steal this car?" "Sort of." "Why because I'm black?" blah blah blah. Then later we find out Martin doesn't support interracial relationships. Well when the guy is white, that is. If the guy is black, like him, then it's all gooood.

Several scenes throughout the movie, however, I thought were successfully funny. The action scenes and the effects used were decent as well. The story, I have mixed opinions on. For the most part, though, I may have to rule against that one. I think Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker did this buddy cop thing better. And they were mixed race as well. But I'm going to have to watch that again.

All in all, I wasn't that impressed. But I think it deserves more than a rock bottom score.

2 / 5

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I think we might read the book for horror book club. I've never read it. Now the movie I have seen many times. First time I saw was with a good friend when I was about 13 at a sleepover. We slept with crucifixes that night.
    That brings back memories. Back when I read it, I kept it in the freezer at night because I didn't want it in the room or even in the house with me. For some reason I thought the freezer would keep me safe.
    After I finished I gave it away to someone else so as to get it out of the house.

Now that I read my books on my Nook, I certainly wouldn't put it in the freezer. I'd probably have to keep it outside.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I plan to watch a relaxing romantic-comedy tonight. So what better than Rosemary's Baby? I have no idea what it's about but apparently it's good enough to fit what I'm looking for right now.

Just kidding. Hitch it is.

So that was Hitch, with Will Smith and Kevin James.

You know, it was not bad. It was okay.

A lot better than National Security? No. But still, better.

At least here both protagonists were likeable. And the fixing of relationships made more sense.

I am a Will Smith fan. Not only is he good looking, but he is charming and can be funny.

Was this his best performance? Definitely not. Was everything that was meant to be funny, funny for me? Not really. But a good deal of the scenes were amusing. That's good enough.

But anyway, I think the story was decent. The Date Doctor, Hitch, helps people find love, only to have love troubles himself later on. At the end, Will fixes his relationship with the woman he loves, and he helps Kevin not only fix his relationship, but also that Kevin had more to do with the success of it than he may have originally thought. He didn't have to rely fully on Hitch. Most of it was inside him. It was there for him to discover, open, and use. The movie concludes like a typical romantic comedy, and that is with a happy ending. But you know what? That's good. I like that. No problem.

The acting was fine. Not sure if it was great, but I can't complain too much.

Do I recommend this movie? Sure. It's not a huge bang, but for something acceptable enough, sure.

3 / 5
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 09-28-2013 at 03:47 AM.

Time to watch some, if not all, of Roxanne with Steve Martin.

I'll leave it for another time actually.

Saturday: RUSH

Most excellent. Ron Howard "got it" and didn't F it up! GLAD.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Time to watch some, if not all, of Roxanne with Steve Martin.
    I haven't seen Roxanne in years. I loved that movie. Maybe I'll rent it on my next rental run. (writing it on my Must Rent list)
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread