+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

I have a love hate relationship with the book. I just thought Roberts was the wrong person to play the lead
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Next movie I'm going to watch is Big with Tom Hanks.

Now, going into it, my hopes are not too high. I see a 3.5 rating at best.

So Big is finished.

About 10 minutes into the movie, and he's already transformed into an adult. So, I can't say the start was slow or that it took me a while to get into it, can I?

I liked it.

The acting, for the most part, was fine. I liked the way the story progressed, and I have to say that I underestimated the movie at first. I enjoyed it.

Now, what I watched was the "Director's Cut". I remember watching this movie, or some of it, with my mom a long, long time ago. I think there were a couple scenes I remember from then that I didn't see now. But either way, I don't think it's a big deal.

I originally said that I see a 3.5 rating at best, but I'll one-up it.

4 / 5

Edit: Well, I asked someone in my life what she thought of the movie, and she said the ending disturbed her. You know, the supposed sex scene earlier on, and Susan watching Josh, now back as a kid, walking away, and then having to realize that she had sex with a child. Well I didn't think of it that way. But then again I know of movies that display things far more disturbing. I found that scene more sad than anything.
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 09-21-2013 at 01:18 AM.

I'm going to be watching District 9 tonight. I've been planning to for a couple days. Now I can.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

I am finished.

Well, wow. It was interesting. I liked it. Didn't love it, but I thought it was really well done. I don't think I've seen enough Sci Fi films yet to compare, however.

Something I don't understand is how the aliens and the humans can communicate despite speaking different languages. I'm sure similarities have been used before. I don't really get it, though.

The ending, to me, seemed a bit incomplete. We are presumably told that Wikus has indeed fully transformed into the alien. Does Christopher come back, though? What happens with that? I don't know.

I think the effects, story, and acting were pretty good.

I'll give it a 3.5 / 5

Now, what sane person would decide to start watching Orphan in the middle of the night? The answer is: None. But I don't count myself in the "sane" category. I'll see if I can finish it.

So I ended up finishing it.

It was okay. I think I liked District 9 more, though.

Esther was a pretty interesting character. She was so cold throughout the movie. She never portrayed emotion, especially when commiting the damages that she did. Does that count as good acting? I guess Isabelle Fuhrman portrayed the character she was given well, especially being 11 or 12 at the time. It was hard watching her kill John at the end. As for the big twist about her actually being a 33-year-old former mental hospital patient... I already knew that going into it. It's something I've known for a long time.

I'd say my favorite character, besides John, would have, strangely, been Max. She hardly said a word throughout the movie, but I'm a fan. She had to witness some of the worse things Esther has done, such as killing the nun and her father, and an attempt on her life as well. But she also managed to save Danny's life as well as her mother's. She showed great bravery throughout, imo.

So what do I usually comment on? The acting was okay. The story was okay. The characters were good. A couple of the scenes seemed a bit ridiculous to me, though.

What should I rate it? I don't know. I liked District 9 more, and Orphan wasn't bad by any means...

I'll give it a 3 / 5.

I enjoyed Orphan. I went in knowing what it was and just went with it. No expectations.

I LOVED District 9. I even own it. I like that he transforms into an alien. What he persecuted, he becomes. Poetic justice?
    JohnnyK likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

My next two viewings will be Emperor's New Groove and Little Miss Sunshine. The latter I've never seen before.

So I finished watching Emperor's New Groove. I've seen it a bunch of times, so despite me not having seen it for years now, I still remember most of it pretty well.

Like most cartoons, some of what happens in the movie are bound to not make sense. That's about the only negative I have.

The voice actors were great, the characters were all likeable (even the villains), the animation was great, as was the story, and the humor was pretty good, too.

After all these years I still enjoy watching it. Does it deserve a perfect score? I don't know.

For an animated, G rated movie, and not having to compare it to other movies I have recently seen...

4.5 / 5

+ Reply to Thread