+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Poltergiest is one of those movies that I don't think is fair to judge in today's standards when looking back on it. At the time it was done, the special effects were both simple and amazing. In today's world of CGI, none of it is all that special. But for 30 year old technology it was special. I heard a commentary on it once where they explained how Spielberg came up with a lot of the special effects -- for example the weird lighting coming out of the closet was done by shining a blue light through an aquarium and shaking the water in the aquarium. Special effects movies just aren't going to hold up as the technology for special effects advances so much further.
    Very well. You are right. I figured my rating wasn't fair. I'll show more respect and give it 3, then.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    This weekend I watched a documentary on Showtime entitled Eagles. It's about the 70's band. It tells the story of how they came to be and follows them through their recent reunion tours. It has soooooooooo much footage of the band from their early days. They have candid video and on stage film. They include interviews with the people who helped them in the beginning such as Jackson Brown and Linda Ronstadt. I had certain notions about the band that turned out to not be true. It was a real eye opener.

It's 3 hours of pure joy! If you were growing up in those days, I think you would enjoy it too. I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in a very long time.

Here's a link: check out the trailer. I think there are a couple.

Showtime : History of the Eagles - Part One
    That sounds really good, Debb. I grew up in that era listening to the Eagles and Linda Ronstadt is one of my favorite female singers. I'll have to tell my friend about it, too, b/c she is a huge Jackson Browne fan. Will have to check Showtime's listings.

The Exorcist, here I come. I didn't give enough respect to a 1982 horror movie. Let's see how I feel about one about 10 years older.

So that, was The Exorcist. I watched it to the end, but took five or so minute breaks a couple of times.

My God. I thought it was pretty good. The plot was great, and the movie definitely affected me a hell of a lot more than Poltergeist did. I thought the effects that were used were great for its time, hardly anything seemed wrong, and the acting was pretty good, too. Near the end there, I felt a bit uneasy and could feel my stomach churning a couple times (the noises coming from the demon kinda disturbed me). But I am fine. All of the scenes served their purpose and I didn't think anything was really all that unnecessary or stupid.

One thing I kind of don't get though is how she became possessed in the first place?

Now, I don't know if I'll be wanting to see this movie again anytime soon. Maybe, maybe not. It did its job. If I gave Poltergeist a 2 or a 3, this deserves a perfect score.

5 / 5

I'm sure glad I felt good enough to give it a higher score. If I didn't, I would have probably forced myself to watch Cannibal Holocaust or A Serbian Film to teach myself a lesson or two about what a classic horror movie is all about.

I watched Good Will Hunting! It was a great comedy! Ha ha ha ha!! I laughed my ass off at every damn second! OMG I'm still laughing right now!!!

0 / 5

Just kidding.

I liked it. Thought it was pretty good. Liked the story and the characters. Not sure how I wanted the movie to end, but I wasn't disappointed.

4 / 5

I loved Good Will Hunting. I saw it twice I liked it so much
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Not to hijack this thread all for myself, but I just want to say, that I am open to suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    So that, was The Exorcist. I watched it to the end, but took five or so minute breaks a couple of times.

My God. I thought it was pretty good. The plot was great, and the movie definitely affected me a hell of a lot more than Poltergeist did. I thought the effects that were used were great for its time, hardly anything seemed wrong, and the acting was pretty good, too. Near the end there, I felt a bit uneasy and could feel my stomach churning a couple times (the noises coming from the demon kinda disturbed me). But I am fine. All of the scenes served their purpose and I didn't think anything was really all that unnecessary or stupid.

One thing I kind of don't get though is how she became possessed in the first place?

Now, I don't know if I'll be wanting to see this movie again anytime soon. Maybe, maybe not. It did its job. If I gave Poltergeist a 2 or a 3, this deserves a perfect score.

5 / 5

I'm sure glad I felt good enough to give it a higher score. If I didn't, I would have probably forced myself to watch Cannibal Holocaust or A Serbian Film to teach myself a lesson or two about what a classic horror movie is all about.
    I think it was implied that she became possessed after playing with a Ouija Board.
    waywyrd and JohnnyK like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I think it was implied that she became possessed after playing with a Ouija Board.
    That's what I remember too. That particular demon also had it in for Father Merrin, who was in the area...

The Exorcist is my favorite horror movie of all time. Still creeps me out when I watch it for Halloween. Fun facts:

25 Fascinating Facts About The*Exorcist - Listverse
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

OMG, I saw The Exorcist only once, and that was after reading the book. I was still in high school, maybe 16, and we went to see it in NYC. I sat way up front and watched the film while holding my hands up to my eyes. I never could watch a horror film and still don't to this day. I can still picture that infamous 360 degree head spin. For at least a week, I crawled into my younger sister's twin bed at night and slept with her. That's how scared I was. Once was enough.

FM , I saw Good Will Hunting more than once, myself. I really enjoyed it and Matt and Ben were so young when they wrote the screenplay.
    bee stung lips likes this.

+ Reply to Thread