+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Well it's not a movie, but has anyone heard of Goosebumps?

The book series which later had a TV adaptation.

I was a big fan of the book series when I was little. So I decided I'd try watching the episodes again. Half an hour is way too short. They should have made each episode an hour long. That, plus the mediocre acting, is why the books were way better.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I'm planning on watching Hunger Games soon. I was gonna watch it with a friend, but I decided I don't like watching movies with other people. I only take it in when I am alone. Alone.
    So I just finished.

It started a bit slow and took a little while to grab my utmost attention and interest, but when it got into it, I liked it. Good acting, good scenes, good story.

4 / 5

Watching 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' now!

I like it!
    KAREN

I also watched "Five Dollars a Day", a movie I never even knew existed before today.

It was okay. A road trip movie, basically.

Technical issue was that the version I got was pretty quiet and didn't have subtitles so I didn't hear every word that was being said. But I think I got the general idea. Some guy who loses his job and girlfriend drives around the country with his dying father, only to find out near the end that he`s not actually his real father or something. That part confused me, but whatever.

It was a decent comedy drama.

I'll be fair and give it 2.5/5
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 09-15-2013 at 06:03 AM.

This weekend I watched a documentary on Showtime entitled Eagles. It's about the 70's band. It tells the story of how they came to be and follows them through their recent reunion tours. It has soooooooooo much footage of the band from their early days. They have candid video and on stage film. They include interviews with the people who helped them in the beginning such as Jackson Brown and Linda Ronstadt. I had certain notions about the band that turned out to not be true. It was a real eye opener.

It's 3 hours of pure joy! If you were growing up in those days, I think you would enjoy it too. I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in a very long time.

Here's a link: check out the trailer. I think there are a couple.

Showtime : History of the Eagles - Part One
    JohnnyK likes this.

Soon, I plan on watching Good Will Hunting, another comedy, and I'd like to step out of my comfort zone and watch Poltergeist again, which I haven't seen since I was 11.

So I watched Poltergeist tonight.

I'm sorry, because I know it is widely viewed as a great movie, but I felt a little disappointed by it.

I didn't find it all that scary or terrifying, and I'd even go as far as say I might not even place it in the horror genre. Maybe, fantasy-thriller or something.

I guess the plot in itself was good. The acting was okay. Maybe I'm being biased because the movie is 30 years old now, but then again I gave a near perfect score to another movie that came out around five years later.

I saw this movie when I was 11 or 12, back in school. I remember it had more of an impact on me then. Now, not so much. The mirror scene was probably the most disturbing, and, obviously, it was what stuck with me all these years.

I'd love to hear what others have to say.

For me, for now,

2 / 5

One of these days, I'd like to watch The Exorcist. I surprise myself by saying this, but after watching Poltergeist, I might end up enjoying it better.

FORT Fogey

Poltergiest is one of those movies that I don't think is fair to judge in today's standards when looking back on it. At the time it was done, the special effects were both simple and amazing. In today's world of CGI, none of it is all that special. But for 30 year old technology it was special. I heard a commentary on it once where they explained how Spielberg came up with a lot of the special effects -- for example the weird lighting coming out of the closet was done by shining a blue light through an aquarium and shaking the water in the aquarium. Special effects movies just aren't going to hold up as the technology for special effects advances so much further.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Soon, I plan on watching Good Will Hunting, another comedy, and I'd like to step out of my comfort zone and watch Poltergeist again, which I haven't seen since I was 11.
    Uh, Johnny, Good Will Hunting is not a comedy, but a well defined drama.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Uh, Johnny, Good Will Hunting is not a comedy, but a well defined drama.
    I know. I meant I was planning to watch Good Will Hunting and another comedy soon.

+ Reply to Thread