+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Kid Galahad was based on the Harold Robbins novel, A Stone for Danny Fisher. It was one of his immensely popular trash novels that we hid from our parents when we read it. There were a bunch of them at that time that would seem mild today, but in those days, we couldn't wait to sneak them away and read them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

The original Psycho! My daughter was anxious to see it after a classroom discussion about cinematography - her teacher specifically mentioned Psycho as an example. She thought it was great, although she was not scared enough to not take a shower afterwards. She especially liked Anthony Perkins' performance. My kids, particularly my older daughter (she's 14) are starting to want to watch older, classic films. We were laughing at a Monty Python reference to the Killer Rabbit the other day and the kids didn't get it so we are looking around for a copy of the Holy Grail now.

Also fell asleep about 3/4 of the way through Hansel and Gretel. Cool idea, even if it's ripped off from the Pride & Prejudice and Zombies-type story. Terrible execution.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Elvis wanted to be a dramatic actor. He hated doing all those movies, but Colonel Parker kept him busy with making the same movie over & over again. There were 31 in all. I loved them myself. I can well remember every time a new Elvis movie hit the theater, we would all stand in line for the Saturday matinee & the line would stretch all the way around the building. All the other times there would be very little line at all. I think my faves were GI Blues, It Happened At The Worlds Fair, Follow That Dream & Speedway.
    I believe the only one he ever did that even came close to real dramatic acting was his first one: Love Me Tender. He wasn't first star billing. That wasn't even the original title. It was changed when Elvis pre-released the song & the song was a huge hit. They then added songs to the movie. After that happened, Colonel Parker saw the potential for cross-promotion through soundtracks & merchandising through light movies just showing off Elvis.
    Elvis's dramatic movie career ended right then & there.

Great quote about Colonel Parker said by Priscilla at the Colonel's funeral: "Elvis and the Colonel made history together, and the world is richer, better and far more interesting because of their collaboration. And now I need to locate my wallet, because I noticed there was no ticket booth on the way in here, but I'm sure that the Colonel must have arranged for some toll on the way out."
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I believe the only one he ever did that even came close to real dramatic acting was his first one: Love Me Tender. He wasn't first star billing. That wasn't even the original title. It was changed when Elvis pre-released the song & the song was a huge hit. They then added songs to the movie. After that happened, Colonel Parker saw the potential for cross-promotion through soundtracks & merchandising through light movies just showing off Elvis.
    Elvis's dramatic movie career ended right then & there.

Great quote about Colonel Parker said by Priscilla at the Colonel's funeral: "Elvis and the Colonel made history together, and the world is richer, better and far more interesting because of their collaboration. And now I need to locate my wallet, because I noticed there was no ticket booth on the way in here, but I'm sure that the Colonel must have arranged for some toll on the way out."
    There were many times Elvis sent one of his posse to fire The Colonel. The response buy the Colonel was "Have Elvis tell me to my face." Elvis never did, so the unholy alliance went on.

By the way, I got my Elvis on last night. I saw Viva Las Vegas. Released in 1964 when he & Ann Margaret were both about as hot as it got. But, the Beatles were just around the corner.

Just watched Seven Psychopaths it sucks.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Just watched Seven Psychopaths it sucks.
    yup, it did.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Now you see Me. I heard it was a love it, or hate it movie We both LOVED it. Great ending, well done.

I have a little crush on Jesse Eisenberg
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Just recorded TCM's Detective Story. It's been a long time since I've seen that and it's one of my favorite noirs. Cast includes Kirk Douglas, William Bendix, Eleanor Parker, Horace McMahon, Joseph Wiseman, Gladys George, Lee Grant, Frank Faylen, Gerald Mohr -- and it includes stories that were highly controversial back at that time (1951).
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

The Call with Halle Berry and Abigail Breslin. Good movie...kept me awake. Different ending than I expected. Highly recommend for mindless summer entertainment!
    Don't let the small things sweat

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spoose View Post
    The Call with Halle Berry and Abigail Breslin. Good movie...kept me awake. Different ending than I expected. Highly recommend for mindless summer entertainment!
    I rented this from RedBox, based on reading recommendations here.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I loved the first 2/3 of it . . . right up until she drove up to the hills and started looking through the cabin and the area around it on her own. Then it got almost silly (for me). I loved her last line, "It's already done," but it was unbelievable that two law-abiding women (one with a law-enforcement-related background) would tie the man there and leave him. The man had murdered at least 3 people . . . but were they any better than him when all was said and done? They were both guilty of premeditated murder, too.

+ Reply to Thread