+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

FORT Fogey

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Behind the Candelabra was good. I was shocked to learn that so many fans thought he was straight! There was NEVER a doubt in my mind, even as a child. Thay may be due to sophistocated parents who were not fooled either. It was not a sign of the times to know much about homosexuality. They had gay friends (back in the 50s) who were closeted, of course, but not around us.

Before surgery Scott's resemblance to Matt Damon is striking. And sadly after he does look like Liberace. Sad story.

Count me in the Leo fan club... the first movie I saw him in was What's Eating Gilbert Grape. His role as Arnie was so well done and believable... I have been a fan ever since. Hmmm, I think I might have to watch that again this weekend!

My husband however will not watch any movie that he is in... even one that has one of his favorites, Clint Eastwood. Like AJane, he was turned off because of Titanic and he is stubborn enough that he will go out of his way to NOT be won over!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Behind the Candelabra was good. I was shocked to learn that so many fans thought he was straight! There was NEVER a doubt in my mind, even as a child. Thay may be due to sophistocated parents who were not fooled either. It was not a sign of the times to know much about homosexuality. They had gay friends (back in the 50s) who were closeted, of course, but not around us.

Before surgery Scott's resemblance to Matt Damon is striking. And sadly after he does look like Liberace. Sad story.
    I've already become addicted to this movie. I've seen it three times. Michael Douglas's performance is mesmerizing. During the previews it seemed that he would be miscast, but he nailed Liberace. And not just as an impression -- he embodied that combination of Midwestern sincerity and vulgar flamboyance.
    Shoepie likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I've already become addicted to this movie. I've seen it three times. Michael Douglas's performance is mesmerizing. During the previews it seemed that he would be miscast, but he nailed Liberace. And not just as an impression -- he embodied that combination of Midwestern sincerity and vulgar flamboyance.
    I saw the trailer, and I would love to see this movie .
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I'm re-watching, Star Trek, the movie and find it hysterical that Chris Hemsworth plays George Kirk, Chris Pine's father. At least we know where Jr. got his good looks.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I'm re-watching, Star Trek, the movie and find it hysterical that Chris Hemsworth plays George Kirk, Chris Pine's father. At least we know where Jr. got his good looks.
    Yep, didn't realize that until I saw it again on TV recently. Hemsworth was a good casting choice for George!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post

Still have to watch this! Liberace was one of my heroes as a pianist growing up. I am truly shocked to hear that there are fans who didn't know he was gay. Even as a kid in fairly conservative household, I knew that.

FORT Fogey

Saw After Earth. It was good in concept, but didn't really do enough to sustain a full feature film.

I've been on a This TV kick lately. For anyone who doesn't know, they have all old movies. Most of them aren't exactly jewels & I have no interest in them, but some of them are true classics, & many star current stars back when they were quite young. Sometimes they show 2-3 in a row with the same big star.

Today I watched Elvis Presley in Kid Gallahad, & I taped his Frankie & Johnny to watch later. They're not exactly award winning classics, but at the time Elvis made a string of these B Movies, simply because of the popularity of Elvis. The stories were simplistic at best. He sang in every one of them.

Kid Gallahad was loads of fun to watch. It also had a young Charles Bronson in it. Watching the co-stars is fun to see what they looked like back then.
    I'm looking forward to watching Frankie & Johnny. It co-stars Donna Douglas, more famously known as Ellie May Clampett.

I think tomorrow they're showing She Devil with Roseanne Barr & Meryl Streep. Sounds like fun.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Elvis wanted to be a dramatic actor. He hated doing all those movies, but Colonel Parker kept him busy with making the same movie over & over again. There were 31 in all. I loved them myself. I can well remember every time a new Elvis movie hit the theater, we would all stand in line for the Saturday matinee & the line would stretch all the way around the building. All the other times there would be very little line at all. I think my faves were GI Blues, It Happened At The Worlds Fair, Follow That Dream & Speedway.

PS: I mentioned over in another thread, that I went to Graceland last week & if you are ever in Memphis, it's well worth the trip.

+ Reply to Thread