+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

I really like Tarantino and the violence in his films is so over-the-top and cartoonish, that it doesn't usually bother me. I've avoided Django because I don't like Jamie Foxx OR Leonardo DiCaprio. Maybe with different leading men, I'd be more interested. I love Christoph Waltz, but I don't think he's enough to get me to see the movie.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Fox was excellent in this, and I don't normally like him
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I really like Tarantino and the violence in his films is so over-the-top and cartoonish, that it doesn't usually bother me. I've avoided Django because I don't like Jamie Foxx OR Leonardo DiCaprio. Maybe with different leading men, I'd be more interested. I love Christoph Waltz, but I don't think he's enough to get me to see the movie.
    Foxx and DiCaprio really were both very good in this one. If you like Tarantino and love Waltz, maybe you should reconsider...

I just think my dislike of Foxx and DiCaprio is stronger than my like of Tarantino and Waltz.
    Shoepie and ClosetRTWatcher like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just think my dislike of Foxx and DiCaprio is stronger than my like of Tarantino and Waltz.
    LOL, that's some STRONG dislike Crit!

I think DiCaprio is one of those actors that is able to disappear inside the characters he is portraying & I find that really compelling. IMO, Robert DeNiro is one of those guys that noi matter what the role or what kind of movie it is, he is always DeNiro. Leo, on the other hand is never Leo. There are few actors out there than can do this. I think Giovani Ribisi is one, Edward Norton is another & Cate Blanchett & Charlize Theron on the distaff side are able to do that. I always enjoy watching these folks.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Leonardo Dicaprio has never been more amazing than his portrayal of slave owner Calvin Candie in Django and it was downright sacrilege that he wasn't nominated for and Oscar. Stupid Academy....grrrr. And his protrayal of Jay Gatsby is right up there with his Django performance although on a different scale. He embodied the role. When he appears onscreen and announces "I'm Gatsby", to Toby Maguire's character Nick Carroway, you believe him. Of course it doesn't hurt that he looks better than he's ever looked in his entire life. Age is definitely Leo's friend. He used to be a boy now he's a man.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Titanic made me dislike DiCaprio intensely, but he won me over in Gangs of New York and The Departed (also very good in Basketball Diaries). He was good in Revolutionary Road, okay in Shutter Island, but Inception and J. Edgar put me to sleep. Love me some Tarantino so I am looking forward to seeing Django, but obviously, DiCaprio is hit and miss for me.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Leonardo Dicaprio has never been more amazing than his portrayal of slave owner Calvin Candie in Django and it was downright sacrilege that he wasn't nominated for and Oscar. Stupid Academy....grrrr. And his portrayal of Jay Gatsby is right up there with his Django performance although on a different scale. He embodied the role. When he appears onscreen and announces "I'm Gatsby", to Toby Maguire's character Nick Carroway, you believe him. Of course it doesn't hurt that he looks better than he's ever looked in his entire life. Age is definitely Leo's friend. He used to be a boy now he's a man.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I know! he really should have been nominated, he was a delight as the slave owner. He really has grown as an actor. Love me some Leo

Going to see Gatsby again , my daughter in law wants to see it
    bee stung lips likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I know! he really should have been nominated, he was a delight as the slave owner. He really has grown as an actor. Love me some Leo

Going to see Gatsby again , my daughter in law wants to see it

Oh me too...going to see Gatsby again this weekend. This time with my sister. Looking forward to it equally as much as the first time.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread