+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

The Last Stand - 2013

Arnold Schwarzenegger's first movie after his divorce from wife Maria Shriver. (the paycheck probably paid for the lawyer) I thought since it was Arnold and Forest Whitaker it wouldn't be a bad action film with an aging star poking a bit of fun at himself. This movie was filmed in New Mexico with a South Korean director and film crew. This film is bad. Even paying only $4.99 On Demand I think I want a refund. I think it is worth more in the $2.99 range. This could have been a predictable, but fun bit of satire but the acting is wooden and the editing is simply terrible but it is a step up from the typical Saturday offerings that the SyFy network provides.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Beautiful Creatures - 2013

Another film based on a Young Adult series of books trying to capitalized on the Twilight series and The Hunger Games. Goes to show putting a novel to film is very hard. While better than I thought at times I found the male lead rather smarmy and wanted him off my screen. The movie holds better than I thought it would and there was a nice chemistry between the leads. I think the best scene is when Ethan yells at Lena that being human sucks too and she should stop feeling sorry for herself. In fact that was a great speech that should be used on all supernaturals who disdain humans/mortals while thinking they have it so much harder.

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Just got back from "The Great Gatsby." I kept waiting to care about these characters, one way or the other, but I never did. I rated it a 4 out of 10. Hubby gave it a 7 because "Daisy was really pretty."

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Watched Once Around yesterday afternoon on cable. A 1991 gem of a movie with Danny Aiello as the patriarch of an Italian-American family, Gena Rowlands as the mother, Laura San Giacomo as the sister, and Holly Hunter as the insecure, older sister who finds love with an eccentric, older, successful Richard Dreyfuss. I'd seen this movie when it first came out but I had forgotten that Danny Aiello could sing. I always, always enjoy Gena in anything she does, but the real star turn for me was Dreyfuss. He totally nailed it as the over-the-top personality who sweeps Hunter off her feet. I laughed and cried. Very good movie.
    Loved that movie. I didn't get a lot of play at the time, for some reason.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Django Unchained - For some reason I don't really like Jamie Foxx. I think he's just the kind of actor that seems like he would be a jerk in real life. But I have to admit he is a good actor. In fact, all of the acting in this movie was really good. It also had a few laugh out loud dark comedy moments for me (e.g., the fact that Calvin Candie's plantation is called CandieLand ). On the other hand it is about what you would expect from Tarantino -- over-the-top violence. It also walks a very fine (and often uncomfortable) line dealing with slavery and racism. There was one scene involving "mandingo fighting" that I had a really hard time with. It was truly disgusting, and not just in an over-the-top way. I actually had to look it up afterward to discover that historians are saying that there is no documentation of such a "sport". The entire history of racism in the south can easily lead one to believe that such savagery could have been possible. It's hard to say that I "liked" a movie like this, but overall it was strange and well done. If you like Tarantino and don't mind an uncomfortable viewing experience, I would recommend checking this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Django Unchained - For some reason I don't really like Jamie Foxx. I think he's just the kind of actor that seems like he would be a jerk in real life. But I have to admit he is a good actor. In fact, all of the acting in this movie was really good. It also had a few laugh out loud dark comedy moments for me (e.g., the fact that Calvin Candie's plantation is called CandieLand ). On the other hand it is about what you would expect from Tarantino -- over-the-top violence. It also walks a very fine (and often uncomfortable) line dealing with slavery and racism. There was one scene involving "mandingo fighting" that I had a really hard time with. It was truly disgusting, and not just in an over-the-top way. I actually had to look it up afterward to discover that historians are saying that there is no documentation of such a "sport". The entire history of racism in the south can easily lead one to believe that such savagery could have been possible. It's hard to say that I "liked" a movie like this, but overall it was strange and well done. If you like Tarantino and don't mind an uncomfortable viewing experience, I would recommend checking this one out.
    I have to agree with you. I recently saw this as well and some of the violence is just so over the top... I spent half the movie with my eyes closed and earmuffs... The acting was great, but I often wonder why Tarantino adds so much violence in his movies... I think it's more about a reaction then actual good story-telling.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

We loved Django. I expected the OTT stuff because it was QT.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

To be honest the last fight scene in the mansion was so over the top with blood spurting everywhere and folks getting hit multiple times and having the blood shoot out 3 or 4 feet high that I realized how ridiculous it was and starting laughing and then you sorta stop yourself but at that point in the film you have broken out of being in the film, in the story that you have to laugh and absurdness of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    To be honest the last fight scene in the mansion was so over the top with blood spurting everywhere and folks getting hit multiple times and having the blood shoot out 3 or 4 feet high that I realized how ridiculous it was and starting laughing and then you sorta stop yourself but at that point in the film you have broken out of being in the film, in the story that you have to laugh and absurdness of it all.
    Yup we laughed as well
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I agree as well. For the most part I don't bat an eye at Tarantino's violence because I expect it and it's stylized to the point of absurdity. In Django it was just the one hand-to-hand combat-to-the-death scene that I found so disturbing. It was less stylized and I was left with a sick feeling not knowing for certain whether such things really happened at some point.

+ Reply to Thread