+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

I bought the last Star Trek dvd and can't wait for the new one to be released to dvd so I can buy that, too.

Baz Lurhmann...I watched the opening of Moulin Rouge (dvd) and took it out of the machine. It was the singing on the rooftop that made no sense. For that reason and the shallowness of the characters, I will probably not even rent the newest Gatsby. I find nothing appealing in the characters or the time except irony, and not the sort of tongue in cheek irony I enjoy.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Think I'll watch the Robert Redford Gatsby again this weekend
    Now I love me some Robert Redford but he was way too wooden as Gatsby.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

If Redford was wooden, I'll take it. He was still a million times better than DiCaprio could ever be. Plus, he was SO beautiful.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Now I love me some Robert Redford but he was way too wooden as Gatsby.
    Now I compare the two, yes he was. Damn Leo looked good
    I think this is a love or hate movie- I am in the love camp
    Hyper and bee stung lips like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Watched Once Around yesterday afternoon on cable. A 1991 gem of a movie with Danny Aiello as the patriarch of an Italian-American family, Gena Rowlands as the mother, Laura San Giacomo as the sister, and Holly Hunter as the insecure, older sister who finds love with an eccentric, older, successful Richard Dreyfuss. I'd seen this movie when it first came out but I had forgotten that Danny Aiello could sing. I always, always enjoy Gena in anything she does, but the real star turn for me was Dreyfuss. He totally nailed it as the over-the-top personality who sweeps Hunter off her feet. I laughed and cried. Very good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    Actually, the movie wasn't funny. I'm not sure why they marketed it as a comedy. Maybe they were afraid people wouldn't show up otherwise? I had seen an interview with Anthony Mackie prior to seeing the movie, and he talked about his character being on death row in real life. So, I knew it wasn't supposed to be a funny movie, and trust me, it wasn't. I was just dumbfounded at the gall and the stupidity of all the people involved in these crimes.
    I don't agree. I saw it yesterday (and I wanted to see it for the cast, which is a great one - Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Ed Harris, Rob Corddry, Rebel Wilson, Tony Shalhoub) and maybe it's not tasteful to say so, but it was definitely a dark comedy. The perpetrators were unfathomably stupid, but that's what made it comical. Johnson is particularly skillful at playing the muscleheaded, likeable buffoon (after years of practice in the WWE) - he's this generation's Schwarzneggar. The laughs were not at the expense of the murder victims anyway, they were mainly directed at the trio of Wahlberg/Johnson/Mackie along with some more minor characters like Corddray's (and Shalhoub's character, which is easier to understand after seeing the film). There is an interesting article on slate.com which separates the fact from the fiction. Don't read it if you're planning on seeing the film and don't want to be spoiled.
    Pain & Gain true story? Fact and fiction in the new movie starring Mark Wahlberg. (PHOTOS)

Also watched We Need To Talk About Kevin. This isn't a true story, it's based on the Lionel Shriver novel - one of the most wrenching stories I've ever read. I thought that Tilda Swinton nailed the haunted, guilt-ridden Eva, and the young actor who played Kevin, Ezra Miller (never heard of him before) did a very good job of portraying Kevin. The movie actually may have done a slightly better job in trying to portray Kevin as not just a
    Click to see Spoiler:
    budding spree killer
    , but as a complicated child with an eerie insight into his mother's ambivalence towards him. It's hard to recommend a movie like this, because it's a simply a tragedy from beginning to end. Let's just say that if you're familiar with Shriver's work you'll expect everything you see.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Now I compare the two, yes he was. Damn Leo looked good
    I think this is a love or hate movie- I am in the love camp
    Didn't Gatsby's parties look fun??
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Didn't Gatsby's parties look fun??
    Yes, I could fit right in
    bee stung lips likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Also watched We Need To Talk About Kevin. This isn't a true story, it's based on the Lionel Shriver novel - one of the most wrenching stories I've ever read. I thought that Tilda Swinton nailed the haunted, guilt-ridden Eva, and the young actor who played Kevin, Ezra Miller (never heard of him before) did a very good job of portraying Kevin.
    I thought Ezra Miller was AMAZING in this movie. He was also recently in The Perks of Being a Wallflower, where he also did an excellent job.

Ones I watched recently:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - I enjoyed the entire film and it was beautiful to watch, but it was definitely longer than necessary. I would have preferred one or two movies instead of three. I was watching with my son, who did not know until about two-thirds of the way in that we were not going to get to the end of the story in this movie - I'm not quite sure how he missed that little tidbit!

Rock of Ages. It was really weird, and not in a good way. I liked the concept, but they really blew it in the execution. There were many moments where I could see the intent was to be funny, but instead ended up cringe-worthy.

Regarding The Great Gatsby, I have not seen it yet. However, the weekend it came out my son and a group of his friends who are all high school seniors were going to the movies together. I asked him what they were going to see and was pretty surprised that this is the movie they had chosen. He really enjoyed it and has recommended it to me. He read the book in school sometime in the last year and thought the movie was a good interpretation. I want to pick up the book before seeing the movie. It wasn't required reading for me in high school.

I went and saw Fast and Furious 6 yesterday. I am a fan of the franchise and have seen all the others. (its something my hubby likes too) I LOVED IT! I went into it not reading anything about the plot, just seeing a preview here and there, and not knowing about FF7 in the future, thought this was going to be the last one. I honestly forgot I was in the theater and was yelling at the screen! Would absolutely recommend if you are a fan of the other movies.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

+ Reply to Thread