+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Silver Linings Playbook - Heard it was good, but basically went in with no expectations. When I told my 8 year old what we were watching (because I said she couldn't watch with us) she said "Oh, is that the movie where the girl wants the guy to dance with her?" I STILL have no idea how she knew more about this movie than I did! Overall I liked it. It is possibly the strangest romantic comedy I have seen. My only complaint is (spoiler because my complaint alludes to the ending):
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I was a little annoyed that the ending seemed to make a "statement" supporting the idea of high-risk gambling.

I went to see Mud today. It's a really good movie & I guarantee you it's Matthew McConaughey & Reese Wutherspoon like you have never seen them before.

FORT Fogey

Saw Gatsby and Star Trek. Loved them both!
    bee stung lips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    I hope to see Gatsby this weekend, I am so glad you enjoyed it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    Absolutely LOVED Gatsby. Leo embodied the role of Jay Gatsby so well he became the character. And the cinematography was stunning. Those parties at Gatsby's house looked like so much fun I wished I could have been there...the clothes were beautiful.

I know many didn't appreciate the fact that Baz Lurhmann used modern music but I thought it was a genius idea and it didn't at all take away from the time period of the movie. His analogy that he used some hip hop in the movie because 1920's jazz was almost like the hip hop music of today in that it was the dominant "in-your-face" style of music back then makes a lot of sense. It was surreal to hear Jay-Z's "H to the Izzo" playing as that car with the group of partiers whizzed past Gatsby and Nick...loved it. Lol.

Next up on my list of movies to see is definitely Star Trek. Saw the one four years ago and enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to this one too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Absolutely LOVED Gatsby. Leo embodied the role of Jay Gatsby so well he became the character. And the cinematography was stunning. Those parties at Gatsby's house looked like so much fun I wished I could have been there...the clothes were beautiful.

I know many didn't appreciate the fact that Baz Lurhmann used modern music but I thought it was a genius idea and it didn't at all take away from the time period of the movie. His analogy that he used some hip hop in the movie because 1920's jazz was almost like the hip hop music of today in that it was the dominant "in-your-face" style of music back then makes a lot of sense. It was surreal to hear Jay-Z's "H to the Izzo" playing as that car with the group of partiers whizzed past Gatsby and Nick...loved it. Lol.

Next up on my list of movies to see is definitely Star Trek. Saw the one four years ago and enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to this one too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Another Leo fan- isn't he good! I cant wait now
    Hyper and bee stung lips like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Another Leo fan- isn't he good! I cant wait now
    Oh, he's SO good! His first appearance onscreen in Gatsby is just...just...ahhhhh!
    SpringMaiden27 and Fanny Mare like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Different strokes I guess. I can't stand DiCaprio. Every time I see the commercial for that movie and he says "I'm Gatsby" I reply, "No you're not." I know a few people who've liked it, but I've seen a lot of very bad reviews that resemble reviews for other Baz Luhrmann movies - pretty and empty.....and not in a Gatsby way.

My parents saw it this week and their entire group - who, it should be noted, is incredibly easy to please - all hated it. Of the main cast, I like Carey Mulligan and Joel Edgerton, but I'll be passing. I also am NOT a Baz Lurhmann fan. IMO, he's all style and no substance. The last movie of his that I enjoyed was Strictly Ballroom, largely because of the dancing and the fabulous Paul Mercurio.

Think I'll watch the Robert Redford Gatsby again this weekend

VERY MUCH looking forward to Star Trek. I loved the last one. I'll go in a week or so when it's not such a madhouse at the theater.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

No one else is going to see Mud? I tell ya, it's well worth the trip.

I would like to See Mud, now Strar Trek you couldn't pay me to see.
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread