+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Red Dawn - The look of the film was good, but I thought it fell far short of the original in getting the viewer to connect with the characters. I did not have an emotional connection with any of the characters, the chemistry between the brothers was seriously lacking, and I wasn't even close to tearing up over any of the losses suffered by the group. It has been quite a long time since I last saw the original, but I thought when I watched the first one that I had a grasp of the hardship that the group was going through living in the woods away from the comforts they were used to. I didn't get that sense in this film. I also had a hard time swallowing that North Korea could just pop in and take over, even if they did have some sort of vague "help" that was alluded to in the movie. It wasn't terrible, I just didn't think it was very good.

I live on darned near the opposite corner of the country from Miami, but I've known of this story for a long time. It was really out there in the media & has been at least mentioned on Real Story type TV shows.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Red Dawn - The look of the film was good, but I thought it fell far short of the original in getting the viewer to connect with the characters. I did not have an emotional connection with any of the characters, the chemistry between the brothers was seriously lacking, and I wasn't even close to tearing up over any of the losses suffered by the group. It has been quite a long time since I last saw the original, but I thought when I watched the first one that I had a grasp of the hardship that the group was going through living in the woods away from the comforts they were used to. I didn't get that sense in this film. I also had a hard time swallowing that North Korea could just pop in and take over, even if they did have some sort of vague "help" that was alluded to in the movie. It wasn't terrible, I just didn't think it was very good.
    This was the last movie I watched as well. I, too, found the emotional connections to be lacking, and even the whiz bang effects made you wonder how and where did this small group (even with town help) find these armaments. Yes, some they took from the soldiers they killed, but...

Anyway, maybe it was the difference between Patrick Swayze and Chris Hemsworth (most often seen as steely-eyed Thor) that made for the emotional disconnect.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    ITA Miss Scarlet. Friends were going to see it today but I declined the invitation. It's one thing to see a serious movie about a tragedy (i.e., WWII movies, Gulf War movies, etc.) with perhaps moments of gallows humor. But to make a comedy about a guy who was tortured for a month and then the same culprits dismembered two people and left their remains in barrels in a swamp is just plain reprehensible. If it were a docudrama type of movie with moments of the absurd, I'd give it a look, but not a comedy/action film. Bay can't make a serious film, so this is off the watch list.
    Actually, the movie wasn't funny. I'm not sure why they marketed it as a comedy. Maybe they were afraid people wouldn't show up otherwise? I had seen an interview with Anthony Mackie prior to seeing the movie, and he talked about his character being on death row in real life. So, I knew it wasn't supposed to be a funny movie, and trust me, it wasn't. I was just dumbfounded at the gall and the stupidity of all the people involved in these crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    This was the last movie I watched as well. I, too, found the emotional connections to be lacking, and even the whiz bang effects made you wonder how and where did this small group (even with town help) find these armaments. Yes, some they took from the soldiers they killed, but...

Anyway, maybe it was the difference between Patrick Swayze and Chris Hemsworth (most often seen as steely-eyed Thor) that made for the emotional disconnect.
    I'm not a big fan of Chris Hemsworth. I don't see anything special about his acting. I always end up thinking he got cast for his "look" rather than talent.
    I was blaming both Chris Hemsworth and Josh Peck, who played the pair of brothers. My kids know Josh Peck from the Nickelodeon show Drake & Josh. While I thought he was entertaining on the kids show, his portrayal in this movie didn't do much for me.

I went back to IMDB to see who played the brother to Patrick Swayze in the original and was SHOCKED to see that it was Charlie Sheen!! I REALLY haven't seen this movie in a long time because I didn't remember that AT ALL!! I had also forgotten Jennifer Grey and Lea Thompson played the girls in the original. I'm going to have to look and see if this is airing on TV or cable anytime soon...

If you have Netflix, I'm know you can pickup the disc for the original version. I did a few years ago.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    If you have Netflix, I'm know you can pickup the disc for the original version. I did a few years ago.
    I do have Netflix, but my two disc slots are valuable real estate so for older movies I try to DVR when possible!

We watched Leaving Las Vegas last night. I had never seen it. Very disturbing but absolutely riveting.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Ironman 3. I like the Ironman series well enough - impossible not to adore Robert Downey Jr. - but I'm generally okay with waiting for the DVD release (except for The Avengers, which was AWESOME on the big screen in 3D.) Anyway, this latest (and, I think, last) installment was great. There is a truly phenomenal action sequence that involves Tony Stark's house - don't want to spoil so I won't say more - and excellent performances by Downey Jr., Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce. Also, Gwyneth Paltrow's abs are simply outstanding. Better, in fact, than the couple of male sets of abs that we see in this film. The 3D is pretty meh, except for the aforementioned action scene. This one was worth the admission price.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

We also saw Ironman 3 today and really liked it. I think I liked each one in the series slightly less than the one before it, but still really enjoyed this one. Robert Downey Jr just makes that character so lovable? Tonight we also rented a movie I had never heard of, but a woman my husband works with loved. It was called the Intouchables and it was fantastic! It's a French movie so I had to get used to the subtitles. But I'd highly recommend it. It was just brilliant!

+ Reply to Thread