+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

We went to see "42" (the story of Jackie Robinson as the first black man to play major league baseball). Hubby is a huge baseball fan, and he enjoyed it a lot. I mainly went because Harrison Ford is in it. The story was predictable (I guess biographical movies are like that), and . . . how do I put this politely . . . Harrison Ford plays a very convincing old man. He hardly seemed to be acting.

Olympus Has Fallen - I was entertained. Good action flick that for once didn't draw out the final fight scene. Very bloody and some funny parts in it. My only annoyance... Putting in spoiler tags just in case...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    since when did Dylan McDermot turn into the go to bad guy. I prefer him as the sweet handsome gentleman... Don't get me wrong he is great at playing a bad guy, just miss his other side
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    We went to see "42" (the story of Jackie Robinson as the first black man to play major league baseball). Hubby is a huge baseball fan, and he enjoyed it a lot. I mainly went because Harrison Ford is in it. The story was predictable (I guess biographical movies are like that), and . . . how do I put this politely . . . Harrison Ford plays a very convincing old man. He hardly seemed to be acting.
    You know, I saw Harrison Ford the other night on I think it was Craig Ferguson's show. which I watched because I knew he would be a guest. I've always been a big fan. Ford did look quite old and not at all well. He seemed to me to be medicated, but he does still pilot his planes, so I could be way off base.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Saw Pain & Gain, and cannot believe this was based on a true story. Wow, just wow...what some folks can justify.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    Saw Pain & Gain, and cannot believe this was based on a true story. Wow, just wow...what some folks can justify.
    I hadn't planned on watching that movie until I found out it was reality based. Now, I want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I hadn't planned on watching that movie until I found out it was reality based. Now, I want to see it.
    The story it was based on was on 48 Hours last night. They mentioned the movie. They said it was made as a dark comedy. There was nothing comedic about what happened. Nothing at all.
    Supposedly the criminals did a few outlandishly stupid things, but even then I can't imagine how anyone could consider it funny.
    It was terrifyingly shocking that anyone would do the things they did, to people they didn't even know.

I have no intention of watching a movie that makes a farce out of things like that.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

ITA Miss Scarlet. Friends were going to see it today but I declined the invitation. It's one thing to see a serious movie about a tragedy (i.e., WWII movies, Gulf War movies, etc.) with perhaps moments of gallows humor. But to make a comedy about a guy who was tortured for a month and then the same culprits dismembered two people and left their remains in barrels in a swamp is just plain reprehensible. If it were a docudrama type of movie with moments of the absurd, I'd give it a look, but not a comedy/action film. Bay can't make a serious film, so this is off the watch list.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    ITA Miss Scarlet. Friends were going to see it today but I declined the invitation. It's one thing to see a serious movie about a tragedy (i.e., WWII movies, Gulf War movies, etc.) with perhaps moments of gallows humor. But to make a comedy about a guy who was tortured for a month and then the same culprits dismembered two people and left their remains in barrels in a swamp is just plain reprehensible. If it were a docudrama type of movie with moments of the absurd, I'd give it a look, but not a comedy/action film. Bay can't make a serious film, so this is off the watch list.
    Well goodness, not much reason to see the movie now that I know what's going to happen.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Well goodness, not much reason to see the movie now that I know what's going to happen.
    Since it all happened in 1994 to 1995 and was widely reported by the Miami newspapers, it's a bit late for spoiler alerts.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Since it all happened in 1994 to 1995 and was widely reported by the Miami newspapers, it's a bit late for spoiler alerts.
    Considering their is a whole universe of folks that didn't read the Miami papers during that time frame, perhaps their is also a whole universe of folks that weren't aware of the story.

+ Reply to Thread