+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 160 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

MRD

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

We watched the latest Indiana Jones movie. I liked it. It wasn't nearly as good as numbers one and three, but I thought it was better than 2.

I had heard it had "lot's of weird UFO stuff" in it, but I wasn't put off by that. I thought the UFO stuff actually corresponded mostly with the theories that I've read or heard. It wasn't any stranger than the power of the Ark to melt Nazi's to dust or the power of the grail to heal bullet wounds.

My favorite part: When they are tearing through the warehouse and he crashes a truck into crates and you catch a glimpse of the "ark" from the first movie where it's been stashed away from mankind.

All in all, it was decent and entertaining.

Dagwood, I love the Stand. We just watched it recently too. Have you ever seen King's Storm of the Century? They play that miniseries occasionally. I like that one too. Probably the only 2 adaptions to screen of King's that I can watch and not get nightmares.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

White Christmas on Lifetime - Gonna have to break out my DVD - so MANY scenes were cut to make time for commercials!

Requiem for a Dream with Jared Leto. What an intense movie. I still feel weird after having watched it.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3242951;
    White Christmas on Lifetime - Gonna have to break out my DVD - so MANY scenes were cut to make time for commercials!
    I watched White Christmas on Lifetime with my 22 year old daughter last night. She was skeptical at first, but this movie grew on her as it played out. I used to watch it with my sister year after year. My sister and I could sing all the songs of course! It is corny, but fun to watch for the dancing, lines and the costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3242797;
    I saw Four Christmases starring Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon yesterday. It was hilarious. I saw many parallels between my family and the movie characters. And that's not a good thing .

I did notice though that something was "off" about Reese's appearance. It almost looked like she's had some plastic surgery or maybe she was wearing a hairpiece because there was something unnatural about her hair. I can't put my finger on it but she didn't look the way she usually does.
    I saw this and know exactly what you mean about Reese. I think they went back after some time and re-shot a lot of the movie. What you saw was a result of really bad editing. She had either changed her hair or was wearing a wig for parts of it and her makeup was off. So within the same scene, her hair kept changing length, color, and style of bangs. And her eyeliner was there, then it wasn't, then it was. Ugh. It absolutely drove me bonkers. Whoever was in charge of continuity should be fired.

Other than that, there were some very funny moments, but overall, I thought it became predictable and schmaltzy towards the end.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

FORT Fogey

There were definitely some re-shoots with Reese - especially in the jump jump scene. The continuity there was so bad it was distracting. All in all, I enjoyed the movie. I liked that they told the story and got out, instead of dragging it out for no good reason to make it longer. And it certainly ended with a bang. There were all sorts of reports about Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoons contrasting styles really getting in the way on the set, and while it didn't show in their chemistry, I think it definitely showed in the lack of any drawn out goofy antics from Vince, which I missed. For that reason, I thought it was more of a Reese movie than a Vince movie, but I still enjoyed it.

I watched Romeo + Juliet - the mid-90s version with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. I have to say that I didn't like it quite as much as I remembered liking it the first time I watched it, but I do still think it is an interesting movie. I still cried at the end. I think I am incapable of watching any Romeo&Juliet-esqe movie without crying!!! I had to kick my 15 year old son out of the room right as it was approaching the death scene because he wouldn't shut his trap about how stupid the movie was.

I watched Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire over the weekend and overall liked it but was offended by the Abraham Lincoln number. I know it was different times back then but it really bothered me.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

My son saw Holiday Inn at school when he was in about third grade and he absolutely loved it. I then spent at least 3 years trying to find a copy for him. Finally found one - at the grocery store! To this day (he's 27 now) it's still one of his favorite movies - along with White Christmas, Singing in the Rain and Top Gun!
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3245950;
    My son saw Holiday Inn at school when he was in about third grade and he absolutely loved it. I then spent at least 3 years trying to find a copy for him. Finally found one - at the grocery store! To this day (he's 27 now) it's still one of his favorite movies - along with White Christmas, Singing in the Rain and Top Gun!
    Love it - I just got back from a Costco shopping trip and found a 3 disk set Holiday Inn, the original black and white film, a colorized version and a cd with the music. I haven't opened it yet. May wait for my daughter to get home from school and put it on while we make jewelry. I haven't seen Holiday Inn for a long time, but watching White Christmas got me thinking about it so I am very excited. I think the era it was made in is pretty fascinating. My son is 27 now, too. I don't think he knows anything about this, but may have it watch it with me.

I will check out that Lincoln number...I don't have any recall of it at the moment. What I did notice about White Christmas was that they smoked constantly... that stood out as being very different than what I see presently in movies or on tv. And I don't remember the smoking making any impression on me when I was a kid. Of course in those days people smoked everywhere, including grocery stores.

+ Reply to Thread