+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

I watched Chasing Mavericks this weekend. For some reason, I always enjoy films about real surfers and this was no exception. The cinematography that ca[tired those waves was fantastic.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Layer Cake - a British caper in the vein of Snatch/Lock Stock & Three Smoking Barrels etc. Supposedly this is THE role that got Daniel Craig noticed for the James Bond role. He was good. Also featured a post-Nemesis/pre-Warrior Tom Hardy in a small role. I liked the movie but I typically have trouble with the British accents when they get to talking quickly which leads me to a)having to really concentrate on listening and b) sometimes feeling like I'm missing things about the movie because I don't always get the vernacular.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Pitch Perfect - I went into this with low expectations. I thought it was rated R, but realized right before watching that it is PG-13. I still expected it to be pretty low-brow and raunchy. It turned out to not be nearly as bad as I anticipated. There were definitely some juvenile jokes, but there were also some laughs to be had and the singing performances were fun.

Robot & Frank - I can't really rave about this movie, but it was good. There were some unexpected aspects of the story that I appreciated. When it ended my teen son made a comment that he didn't get what the "moral" of the story was. I really should follow up with him because I don't think it was a morality piece. The story was more about the dynamics of a family dealing with an aging parent with health issues. While it drifted into the side story of the robot and the dynamic between the robot and Frank, in the end I don't think it was the point of the movie. The robot relationship was a mechanism for illustrating the issues Frank was dealing with.

We watched Argo. Great movie, I thought it got a bit over dramatic in the end.... kind of the last minute rescue bit, which, if you read the actual story, didn't happen quite that way. But it was entertaining and I was never bored. Best movie of the year? I probably would go with Lincoln in all honesty, but definitely a great film.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

We went to see "Jurassic Park" in 3-D at the IMAX. Sunday afternoon at 1:30, higher cost because it was 3-D and IMAX. The theater was PACKED. This for a 20-year-old movie with no nudity and only S**T one time as bad language.

Hello - HOLLYWOOD - are you paying attention?

I love it when DirecTv gives me free weekends of the movie channels, it allows me to set the dvr to record all the stuff I missed the first time around. Yesterday I watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Funny, charming, witty & sad all at the same time.
    JLuvs, waywyrd and AZChristian like this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I watched Grease in the early morning hours today. I had forgotten how much fun that movie is. Travolta was so skinny and it was sad to see Jeff Conaway so young and healthy. Many years ago our high school senior class took a senior trip to NYC to see Grease on Broadway. Interestingly enough, Jeff played the lead role of Danny and not Kinicki, like he played in the movie.

Yes, I knew that Jeff Conaway was one of the many who played Danny on Broadway. Richard Gere was another. Adrienne Barbeau played Rizzo; she may have been the original Rizzo, but I don't remember that well enough to state it as fact.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I went to see The Call this afternoon. It's pretty intense in a creepy sort of way.

I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's. A great oldie but goodie!

+ Reply to Thread