+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree271Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    We watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel on cable last night. What a gem of a movie with a great cast...Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, and Dev Patel. It was funny and heart-warming at the same time. I haven't liked a movie this much in a long time.
    That one's in my queue right now. I taped two at the same time and ended up watching "The Five-Year Engagement" with Jason Segal. It had the usual Judd Apatow charm, and Segal is credited as a co-writer.

"The Master," was interesting in that I don't think there's ever been a movie like it -- in style, plot or character. It's worth seeing just for that. It's by the same guy who did "Boogie Nights," which is on my list of the top 20 best movies ever.

Did anyone see "How to Die in Oregon" on HBO? The title makes it sound like a boring policy documentary, but I found it riveting. The filmmakers focused on a few people who decided to commit suicide by doctor's prescription, including one who they followed through the course of her cancer.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

The Master," was interesting in that I don't think there's ever been a movie like it -- in style, plot or character. It's worth seeing just for that. It's by the same guy who did "Boogie Nights," which is on my list of the top 20 best movies ever.
    I thought it was boring and hard to follow. Mr M fell asleep.I guess it didn't resonate with us, even though the acting was good . It got a terrible right up
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

We watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel on cable last night. What a gem of a movie with a great cast...Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson, and Dev Patel. It was funny and heart-warming at the same time. I haven't liked a movie this much in a long time.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Oz: The Great and Powerful - Went with my 17 and 8 year old kids. My 12 year old also recently saw it, but went with friends before the rest of us. We all enjoyed it. I enjoyed the direction the story took and the landscapes were beautiful. For kids who haven't seen the original movie a ton of times, it would be worth watching before seeing this one. Both of my sons said they didn't really remember the original and wished that had watched it recently. I'm not a James Franco fan. He wasn't terrible, but I do think they could have found a better actor for the role.

I want to see this so bad. If I can't find someone to go with I'll go by myself.
    I've seen the original so many times that I know the whole thing, scene by scene, by heart & can probably quote over half the dialogue.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Oz: The Great and Powerful - Went with my 17 and 8 year old kids. My 12 year old also recently saw it, but went with friends before the rest of us. We all enjoyed it. I enjoyed the direction the story took and the landscapes were beautiful. For kids who haven't seen the original movie a ton of times, it would be worth watching before seeing this one. Both of my sons said they didn't really remember the original and wished that had watched it recently. I'm not a James Franco fan. He wasn't terrible, but I do think they could have found a better actor for the role.
    I took a gaggle of 9 & 10 yr-old girls - most aren't familiar with The Wizard of Oz - to see it and we all loved it. My 13-yr old also enjoyed it and amazingly, so did my husband. Absolutely recommend it.

I adored James Franco, though. I thought he played the huckster con man beautifully. That cheesy smile!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I would agree with seeing the original before it, my 6 year old has seen the original a gajillion times, and I think that's why she liked it so much!
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

The Hobbit along with all its special features and featurettes. Although I prefer the storytelling, character development, and immersion in Middle Earth to the endless battles, I love all these films and can't wait for the next two. I'm disappointed that it will take two more years until we can get them.

It was a little unsettling to hear Elijah Wood say that he had just turned 19 when it all began and now he is 30.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I watched it last night and loved it! A couple of draggy parts but overall, just a really nice movie.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Just watched Rock of Ages on HBO. Meh. Like Pierce Brosnan, Alec Baldwin should never ever sing again. Ever. I really like Russell Brand, but that kiss between him and Alec was scarring. There was nothing sexy about it. At all. It was just awkward and weird.

Tom Cruise.....EH.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread