+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 154 FirstFirst ... 5559596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1532
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    That's next on my list I adore PSH.
    It had such an atmosphere to it. It left me feeling uneasy.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Beasts of the Southern Wild - Honestly, I didn't like this movie so much. Part of it may be tied to my expectations going in. I respect the idea of people living off the grid, and choosing whatever lifestyle they want. However, the main girl was abused and often neglected and it was upsetting. A few tender moments doesn't change that fact.

I also thought Netflix did a terrible job with the synopsis. This is how they described it:
    This fantastical drama follows a little girl named Hushpuppy who lives in a dilapidated pocket of homes in the Mississippi Delta. When her father falls ill and natural disasters strike, Hushpuppy sets off to find her long-lost mother.
    (a) I didn't find this movie "fantastical" at all. I get where that idea comes from, but it isn't enough to describe the film this way.
    (b) I kept waiting for this girl to "set off" to find her long lost mother, and that ended up being all of about 5 minutes of the film.
    This description made me go in expecting an enjoyable drama with some fantasy elements. While it was well acted, I did not find this movie enjoyable.

I've been wanting to see The Master, too. Sounds good.

Instead, I watched The Grey - how very depressing. Loved a lot of the actors in it, but...blah. Also Drive, which I liked until the end.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I went to see Jack the Giant Killer yesterday. It was a fun adventure movie. I wouldn't go into it expecting anything life-altering. The giants were really well done as was their "world". My main takeaway was " Why hasn't Ewan McGregor been in more movies lately?" Love him and he looked great. I know that wasn't the point of the movie but Mrowr.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

The Imposter - Interesting documentary about a kid who disappeared from San Antonio in 1994 and then "showing up" in Spain in 1997. The film was a mix of the people involved telling the story (the family, the imposter, and others) and actors reenacting parts of the story being told. There was no narrator. It was fascinating, but definitely leaves you unsure about the motivations of the people involved.

I saw Phantom today. It's ok but it isn't an award winner by any means. I always like Ed Harris & Dabid Duchovny.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I went down memory lane tonight and watched "Under the Rainbow". Both Chevy Chase and Carrie Fisher have said it was their worst movie of their careers and no one I know outside of immediate family have ever heard of it. It came out in 1981 and apparently did terribly at the box office, but I remember watching it a ton one summer as a kid, but that was probably about 30 years ago. What stuck in with me & my sister for years was the line, "Zee pearl is in zee river." Rewatching it with the perspective of age, parts of it are incredibly racist, parts are still somewhat amusing, and man, a lot more could be gotten away with in a PG movie before the advent of PG13. I'm glad I rewatched it, just for old time's sake, but I'd not recommend unless you were also a young weirdo in the 80s and saw it then (and can put the offensive parts aside now).

Oh, GOD. I remember Under the Rainbow! It was on HBO/Showtime about a million times when I was younger. I watched it probably half a million times!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re-watched Garden State again for the first time in years. The movie AND the sound track are still wonderful!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Just finished watching Inception again for the umpteenth time. This movie never gets old for me. And every time I watch it, i think I've grasped it all in its entirety and I still come away with questions....
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread