+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

FORT Fanatic

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I thought the same thing and kept listening for the ding ding of the bell that starts the song!! One of my daughters takes Greek and Roman history in school and she was oh oh Calypso she bla bla... dang little know it all 12yr old nerd!

FORT Fogey

After just going out and seeing this movie in the theater, I felt much like a cursed pirate, as well over three hours of my life is gone and wasted forever. The only part I liked was Keith Richards' brief cameo.
    Mantenna, my husband and I saw the movie today and you've described our reaction perfectly. I have to admit that I went in forewarned, having read some reviews that said it was a convoluted storyline (which is an understatement!) and too long. About halfway through, I wanted it to be over with, immediately, so the last half was torturous. Didn't even enjoy the "love story" or care what happened to the main characters, I just wanted the damn thing to end!! Unfortunately, when the end finally arrived, it was clear they'd left it open for PoTCIV.

I loved the first PoTC, especially due to Depp's performance, didn't like the second, and hated the third. I'm done with it.

I finally seen this movie today and I thought it was great. The best one so far to me.

FORT Newbie

I've seen this twice now, and loved it even more the second time.

Geoffrey Rush is amazing. I think having him back totally made the movie for me. Barbossa and Captain Jack together is just awesome. I hope if they make another one that they'll bring both of those guys back!

Unless someone else makes it, interviews with someone involved with the francise have said that this is the last one. NOw they could just start over with a new franchise (ALA- POTC: The next generation ) but I'm not sure they will. Another thing about the possibility of a 4th movie is that they will probably have to do it without Kiera Knightly as she has said that she wants to retire from acting. RETIRE??!!!!! She's only 22 for crying out loud! I can't imagine anyone else playing Elizabeth Swann but Kiera. Kiera is Elizabeth Swann. Just like I can't see anyone else playing Jack Sparrow or Will Turner. Actually, all the actors are perfectly fit for their roles.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2459228;
    Unless someone else makes it, interviews with someone involved with the francise have said that this is the last one. NOw they could just start over with a new franchise (ALA- POTC: The next generation ) but I'm not sure they will. Another thing about the possibility of a 4th movie is that they will probably have to do it without Kiera Knightly as she has said that she wants to retire from acting. RETIRE??!!!!! She's only 22 for crying out loud! I can't imagine anyone else playing Elizabeth Swann but Kiera. Kiera is Elizabeth Swann. Just like I can't see anyone else playing Jack Sparrow or Will Turner. Actually, all the actors are perfectly fit for their roles.
    Maybe she wants to go to Uni and has other aspirations that she wants to follow. She certainly seems like someone that has the drive to do that.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I don't believe any actor when he/she talks about retirement. Hugh Grant went on for years, saying he was going to retire on every press junket he ever went out on. Finally he just cut it out and realized he wasn't kidding anyone. I'll believe Kiera's retirement when she actually does it.

I don't think I disliked this movie as much as Manny, but I definitely think they could have trimmed at least 30 minutes off, easily. I've never been a big fan of the movies, but I have enjoyed Johnny Depp's performance in all of them. Orlando Bloom is just "meh" for me. He needs to put on some weight and go to acting class. Sorry, was that too harsh?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think the whole desert scene with Jack Sparrow halucinating and the thousands of Jack Sparrows and the stone crabs could've been eliminated. And the wedding during the sword fight. How unrealistic was that??? "Let's get married while we're trying to fight these guys off with our swords." Please. Other than that. Very good movie. I didn't by the whole Calypso thing, though. I thought she would've destroyed Davey Jones once she found out that it was him who betrayed her. But like someone else said, all they did was turn her into a giant and then she was gone. If they were going to put so much focus on Calypso, they should've given us more of her in terms of story and dialogue. She had a lot of dialogue as Tia but not as Calypso.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2459861;
    I don't believe any actor when he/she talks about retirement. Hugh Grant went on for years, saying he was going to retire on every press junket he ever went out on. Finally he just cut it out and realized he wasn't kidding anyone. I'll believe Kiera's retirement when she actually does it.

I don't think I disliked this movie as much as Manny, but I definitely think they could have trimmed at least 30 minutes off, easily. I've never been a big fan of the movies, but I have enjoyed Johnny Depp's performance in all of them. Orlando Bloom is just "meh" for me. He needs to put on some weight and go to acting class. Sorry, was that too harsh?
    They filmed POTC 2 and 3 back to back for 9 straight months. I think Kiera's retirement statement is more a reaction to being away from home and on location for that long. Reminds me of what Tony Curtis said to about Sparticus, which ran on location forever...... "Who do I have to $uc$ to get off this set."
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

The movie was too long, I don't like that all I was worried at the beginning was can I last this long without going to the restroom. 30 minutes could have been cut from the last battle scenes and absolutely nothing would have been lost of the story and it would have been a better movie. I think if I heard that refrain from the soundtrack one more time I would have gone bonkers. So glad that I stayed for the credits (which I normally do to allow the other patrons to get out and not get caught up in the crowd) else I would have missed the 10 yrs later scene. That was sweet.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast