+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grindhouse

Re: Grindhouse

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;2318453;
    I definately looked away during the trampoline scene.

thanks for the warning

That whole trampoline "thing" happens so fast that if you don't know what happens before hand it'll come up and surprise you really fast.
    Renee: ďYou can think Iím mean, you can think Iím rude, but thatís my opinion, and Iím going to voice it.Ē

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Itís funny how we all see things so differently. I saw Grindhouse from the polar opposite viewpoint of iv3rdawG. The one thing we agree on is, it was a great experience.

My friends and I all agreed. We felt they put Death Proof second because if it were to appear first, many people would leave before Planet Terror came on. Although Iíve always liked Tarantino I feel heís been a bit overindulgent as of late. However, in this film, I think he takes it to far.

Click to see Spoiler:
    The beginning of the film was just too long with no development of the story line. I found it plodding until Kurt Russell joined the plot. His charisma and the likeability of the character started to bring life to a story that had, up to that point, labored along with no direction. From that point to when the two movies overlapped I was entertained. Then QT really lost me. I felt the diner scene was constructed solely for the purpose of giving Tarantino a vehicle to prove that he can be a great Director of Photography. The Ďgirlsí did an outstanding job of delivering a one-take scene, but, as was the case with the first Ďgirlsí scenes, it was little more than filler. After the diner scene I was completely enraptured with Death Proof. It was vintage Tarantino.

Many years ago QT worked in my local video store. It was a small boutique shop established at the beginning of the VCR revolution. They specialized in esoteric videos as well as the latest releases. Quentin and another young gentleman named Russell were my go-to guys when it came to rental suggestions. Tarantino was always a bit more out there in his suggestions, but I was rarely disappointed. With one noted exception. For at least a month he kept trying to get me to rent a movie titled Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!. This was one of QTís favorite movies. If you want to see where QT is coming from with Grindhouse, see if you can track down this movie. Itís very illuminating.

Click to see Spoiler:
    In Planet Terror look for the words faster, pussycat, and kill. I canít remember where they appeared, or why they were displayed, but I chuckled when I saw them.

As to Planet Terror, I felt it was wonderful. It captured the essence of the Grindhouse movies. The lack of initial plot development was a bit disconcerting at first, but with the constant action, special effects, great acting, laughs, and Ďewwwí moments it rarely lost me.

In 1984 there was a movie titled ĎChoose Meí. It was a brilliant film that will always stay with me. The storyline, the performances, the direction, the look of the filmÖ there was nothing missing. I bring the movie up because one of the devices used in making the film was, enhancing the telling of the story through the set design, the score, even the posters on the walls. Both Planet Terror and Death Proof use the sets, including the actors, to enhance the experience. Itís often extremely subtle so you have to stay observant.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Like Kurt Russell sitting at the counter where the girls are having lunch in Death Plot.
    If youíre watching the movie for the first time or seeing it a second time be sure to stay constantly alert to the surroundings. Youíll find quite a bit there to amuse you.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I hated this movie...in all honesty...it was all action 24/7, was there even a plot? If there was, I missed it, it was long and drawn out, and quite frankly...i just didnt care for it! I actually fell asleep in the last 30-40 minutes...it was not my cup of tea lol

Loved this movie! Thanks for the added info UncleDavid! What was fun for me is that I live in Austin and it was cool seeing all the familiar surroundings.

Okay do you think it would make the movie better for me if I read Uncle David's spoiler there? I'm dying to read that. I have only gone to the movies once by myself (I'm a baby like that) I don't like going to movies alone
    my daughter was suppose to go with me Monday before going back to school and we were just too busy with other things. One of my brothers and I made plans to go see it this weekend. .
    Not until Sunday though and I am so anxious to see this. I usually see a movie I'm looking forward to the day or real close to it's release.

I bet I'll see it and it will suck because I've built it up too much. My niece wants to go with us but, my brother won't let her. She is 15. He's such a good daddy.

Would you let your 15 year old see this?

And someone when you get a chance tell me if reading the spoiler would be a bad idea *thanks*

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Back in the Grindhouse days we used to take girls to these types of movies because they would get scared and grab onto us. It was a great reason for us to put our arm around them.

There are two good reasons not to make this your second solo attempt at the movies. One is the gore. This is the kind of movie you might want to have someone there to tell you when Ďitís overí. (One particular old girlfriend was like that. Sheíd cover her eyes and say, Ďtell me when itís overí.) The other reason is, this is the type of movie you have to talk to someone about immediately. Whether you love it or hate it youíll want to get things off your chest.

Donít build this up too much. For many of us who love it, it's a matter of finding the humor and intelligence in the recreation of a really bad film genre. Itís more the appreciation of the art of film making and less about an entertaining film. If that works for you, youíll probably love it. Otherwise, itís just a matter of the mood youíre in when you see it.

Iím old school. I would never let a 15 year old see this movie.

As to the spoilers in my previous thread, you can read the last two.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I decided not to read the spoiler Uncle David

I got busy with whatever and still haven't seen the movie.

I'm going out next Saturday night to see it and of course will come here to post my review.

I have so many pms asking my opinion NOT

(the not part just jumped in there as I saw Borat again last night)
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

See it before it's out of theatres. Cause it's going to leave soon. Rumors were that the Weinsteins were going to re-release the films separately in theatres due to the horrible income of the film but it was shot down.
    Renee: ďYou can think Iím mean, you can think Iím rude, but thatís my opinion, and Iím going to voice it.Ē

It is already gone from my local theater. I was planning to see it Saturday

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast