+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 300

I just saw it with my brother. Very good visuals. Really like King Leonidas and his wife, Gorgo. Would not take my 9 yr old niece more for the breast shots, the lovemaking scenes between king and queen and the totally gross scenes with the old golds priests and drugged out virgins. Also the harem scene with the traitor and the Xerxes is not for anyone under 12 and not into comics.
    Also enjoyed watching the Spartans use the phalanx and how they could hold off a huge invading force by using the geographical features of the land. The actors who trained as Spartans and of course the other soldiers must have trained for hours a day for several months to develop bodies like that and I appreciated all of them. Also the time all the actors must have put in to recreate the action scenes must have been incredible. I highly recommend this film. What I didn't like were the cheesy comicbook still that came with the ending credits. Maybe they are from the comic book but they were not up to the high standard of the rest of the film.

I would love to see what else Gerard Butler and Lena Headey have been in. (King Leonidas and Queen Gorgo).
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Watching this movie at the Alamo Draft House here, they showed a director interview with Zach Snyder before the movie started and he discussed how they could never capture the beauty of Frank Miller's art in a single frame of film (this is based on a Frank Miller Novel). But I have to say, he did his best to do exactly that. I grew up on Frank Miller drawings of Daredevil and his fantastic Graphic Novels. This was one of the truest comic to movie adaptions I've ever seen, and the right type of adaption it was. Visually spectacular and innovative, and should not be missed in a quality theater. It's not for children, but the flesh and beauty enhance the appeal of this classic.

I do have a complaint, of course. This story of Sparta was bereft of the homosexual component that dominated this culture. Men in Sparta only had sexual relations with women to reproduce, the rest of the time was with the men they were training and raising. Frank Miller took the liberty of erasing this from this story/interpretation. Alas, I bear no grudge for this creative license as this movie creates the necessary excitement and characters to fulfill the storyline of this epic battle that will sell to mainstream America.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2277367;
    I would love to see what else Gerard Butler and Lena Headey have been in. (King Leonidas and Queen Gorgo).
    Gerard Butler was the Phantom in the recent Phantom of the Opera movie - what I heard in an interview is that it's his real singing voice in the movie. I don't believe Lena Headey has ever been the lead actress in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by muggle;2277560;
    I do have a complaint, of course. This story of Sparta was bereft of the homosexual component that dominated this culture. Men in Sparta only had sexual relations with women to reproduce, the rest of the time was with the men they were training and raising. Frank Miller took the liberty of erasing this from this story/interpretation. Alas, I bear no grudge for this creative license as this movie creates the necessary excitement and characters to fulfill the storyline of this epic battle that will sell to mainstream America.
    I think Frank Miller wanted to stay away from this too but in the opening scenes Leonidas does say that the Spartans are not like the "boy loving" Athenians.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

I only remember Gereard Butler from the lead in the Phantom of The Opera movie, where he was spectacular.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

Lena Heady was in The Cave, The Brothers Grimm, and Gossip.
    Gerard Butler was in Timeline, Dear Frankie, and Dracula 2000

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2265126;
    ...that piece of self indulgent crap 'Sin City'.
    Awww, Bear! You cut me to the quick. I loved Sin City.

This movie received a worse rating than Norbit on ‘Rotten Tomatoes’. Usually that is enough for me to avoid seeing it in the theatre. However, I love graphic novels, and enjoy seeing them recreated on the big screen. Not only am I going to go see this film, I may go tonight to see it on Imax.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2278714;
    Awww, Bear! You cut me to the quick. I loved Sin City.

This movie received a worse rating than Norbit on ‘Rotten Tomatoes’. Usually that is enough for me to avoid seeing it in the theatre. However, I love graphic novels, and enjoy seeing them recreated on the big screen. Not only am I going to go see this film, I may go tonight to see it on Imax.
    It does not deserve a bad rating. The visuals are A+. The story B. For an average of B+ or A-. It could have been a stronger and better story. Or perphaps it was the flow, it does seem a tad jerky and on other reviews that was mentioned. It was a beautiful visual experience and the director did an excellent job of putting a graphic novel in another media (or is that medium). Unless you absolutely hate, blood and gore, but even here the blood is digitalized and not as shocking as a lot of slasher movies are. The only other bit I will critisize in this movie is a scene in King Leonidis bedroom, it is dark, the moon and stars fill the skies. The king stands naked in the doorway brooding. A totally fab shot except for the lighting. The man spent 7 months building that body and you cannot see his buttocks, not even a hint of mound. His chiseled back is also in shadow. That is blatantly sexist. The guys get to drool over naked female breast for several long sloooooooow minutes in the film I demand by right to drool over the kings gorgeous behind for just as long.

PS: word of mouth is that the movie is worth seeing and I find that usually is the best source for deciding to see a movie.

I guess with 300 doing so well in the theaters the History channel showed a piece that had done before on the Battle of Thermopylae. Yes the movie does take artistic license but it was great fun. Still the movie moved me enough that I watched the 2 hour History channel feature and it was quite interesting. It was interesting to hear about the background politics of why the Persians were invading Greece and the political ramifications afterward. I learned that the Spartans were considered heavy infantry and that they were the best prepared warriors of the time and that their armour, shields and spears also called dories were considered the height of technology at the time. It was really cool to learn what a hop lite was and what a phalanx was and the actual battle strategy. What was really interested to note was that democracy was just being developed in Athens at the time and if it was not for the Spartans and 1,000 Thesbians who stayed and died at Thermopylae and delayed the Persians for 3 days, what we know as democracy may have died and burned when the Persians finally burned the Acropolis in Athens. While I did get the historical facts and it was fascinating watching I also have to appreciate how Frank Miller turned all facts into a great piece of storytelling that is truly inspiring.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...
    Saw this movie this weekend and have to concur with everyone who has said the visuals are absolutely stunning. I had considered waiting for the DVD, since the reviews I read were mostly negative. I am soooo glad I didn't. Seeing it on the big screen and with the theater sound is a must, in my opinion. We saw a late showing and the audience was pretty evenly split between the number of men and women - and the women all seemed to love it as much as the men!

I've never seen/read the graphic novels, nor do I know much about the historical facts on this subject, but I plan to check them out. I really did think this was a great movie on it's own merit, but I'd like to see what it was they were attempting to take to the big screen.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2285352;
    the History channel showed a piece that had done before on the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Thanks for the heads up!

I was watching TV before getting up this morning and saw an ad for The 300. I immediately remembered you mentioning the documentary, and tuned into The History channel. Believe it or not, in the next commercial break, they announced the airing of the documentary tonight. I'm going to TiVo the program and save it to watch after I see the movie.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast