+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bend it Like Beckham - 03/12

Bend It Like Beckham

Bend It Like Beckham

PG-13 (112 min.)

Starring: Parminder K. Nagra, Keira Knightley, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, Anupam Kher

Directed by: Gurinder Chadha

Jess (Parminder Nagra) is a teenage Indian girl living in London who wants to play soccer professionally, like her idol David Beckham. Unfortunately, her strict, traditional parents are against the idea. Can Jess convince her parents to let her play -- or will she have to give up her dream?

Did anyone see this? Was it good? I heard it was alot like Greek Wedding...

I saw it when it was released n the Uk and IreamdIts good but its not great and it certaintly was not that much of a hit here maybe in the Uk but not here
    What does Genisis and Darwin have in common they both have no conclusive proof and are theories

I have this movie on DVD as well. It's a hilarious movie, definitely one you can watch over and over again without feeling bored. I laughed from start to finish. It's a movie you WON'T regret watching, trust me.

I heard it was alot like Greek Wedding...
    Oh Gosh, NO! Not to me anyway! I thought Bend it Like Beckham was soooo much better than Big Fat Greek Wedding. In fact I liked it so much I bought it. They're both about weddings ini 'other' cultures, but to me the punchlines on BFGW were all predictable and overt, whereas BLB is a lot more subtle but still hilarious!!! Also, I think they pull you in to the romance well - you really end up liking ALL the characters! Can't wait to hear what others think. Fluff?

:cool:
    "This above all: to thine own self be true." -William Shakespeare, Hamlet

It didn't come to my local theatre so I'll have to wait and rent the dvd.

It'll be so refreshing to hear people calling football "football" and not "soccer"
    "That's Numberwang!"

We saw Bend It Like Beckham yesterday and it was very good. There was a lot of comedy, but there was also a lot more to the story than the brief ads they put out.

Yes, it is about an Indian family who are trying to maintain their traditions/heritage while living in England. The story also touches the subjects of family strengths and conflicts, friendship strengths and conflicts, loyalty, sacrifics, misconception on sexual orientation, a little deception, and interracial love. The movie is well worth watching. If you go see it, stay for the credits.

I really really like this movie. The story is funny and darn feel-good, the subject rocks (I love football) and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is my new god.

Two tips:

1. Eat Indian food before you go otherwise all you'll be able to think about is curry.

2. If I sound like a teeny-bopper gushing about this movie...well...it does that to you and its fun!
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

it was very cute.

We thoroughly enjoyed it here

The Sikh women (mom and relatives) were played by the writer/directors real mom and aunts. The writer/director also said that this was her most autobiographical film ever. Although she didn’t get into football until she was an adult, the whole “father/mother/daughter relationship was based on her own. She even married an Irish (I think) guy.

Much more than your average "sports" flick, but with plenty of absolutely engaging football to watch.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Yeah, when I got the DVD I watched it on a Friday night and then woke up on Saturday and watched it with the commentary. (Just a little obsessed). I thought it was very cool that many of the people in the film were the directors relatives and that it was shot in the part of London where she grew up.

I think that she is married to Paul, the co-writer of the movie who is American. They kept talking abot their wedding together during the commentary.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast