+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Lives of Others

The Lives of Others

http://www.hollywood.com

East Berlin, November 1984. Five years before its downfall, the former East-German government ensured its claim to power with a ruthless system of control and surveillance. Party-loyalist Captain Gerd Wiesler hopes to boost his career when given the job of collecting evidence against the playwright Georg Dreyman and his girlfriend, the celebrated theater actress Christa-Maria Sieland. After all, the "operation" is backed by the highest political circles. What he didn't anticipate, however, was that submerging oneself into the world of the target also changes the surveillance agent. The immersion in the lives of others--in love, literature, free thinking and speech--makes Wiesler acutely aware of the meagerness of his own existence and opens to him a completely new way of life which he has ever more trouble resisting. But the system, once started, cannot be stopped. A dangerous game has begun.

Director Credit
    Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck Director

Cast Credit
    Martina Gedeck Christa-Maria Sieland
    Ulrich Muehe Capt Gerd Wiesler
    Sebastian Koch Georg Dreyman
    Ulrich Tukur Lt-Col Anton Grubitz
    Thomas Thieme Minister Bruno Hempf
    Hans-Uwe Bauer Paul Hauser
    Herbert Knaup Gregor Hessenstein
    Volkmar Kleinert Albert Jerski
    Matthias Brenner Karl Wallner
    Charly Huebner Udo

It is the type of movie that will keep you riveted to the screen or put you to sleep. The trailer was in German with English subtitles.

FORT Newbie

Highly Recommend

This is an excellent film. I have never been to a foreign film before and it was shown in my movie class. My first thought was OH NO not subtitles; however, the film is great and well worth the effort to find it.

+ Reply to Thread