+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Last King of Scotland

The Last King of Scotland

I did a search and there doesn't seem to be a thread for this movie.

I was finally able to see it today and I totally understand why Forest Whitaker is winning all of the acting awards this year. James McAvoy was brilliant as the Scot and I believe he should have received some supporting actor nominations.

I am interested to read the book that the movie was based on. I would recommend this movie, though there are some gross violence scenes -- but with the subject matter that is to be expected.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

FORT Fogey
    The first thing I planned on doing this morning when I logged on was to start a thread for this movie -- I'm so glad you did JLuvs!

I went to see it last night. Holy cow - what a movie! I totally agree with what you said on Forrest Whittaker. His is an absolutely AMAZING performance. Not only one of those where you forget that he's Forrest Whittaker, but one (even more so than Mirren in The Queen) where you truly become convinced that he's Amin. There is such a range that he has to convey in the film that the fact that he was able to deliver so incredibly well is simply amazing.

Even though I think that Forrest deserves all the aclaim that he's getting, I am kind of sorry that all the buzz for this film seems to be focused on him, as the film itself is so incredible as well. It's shot in a style that at times feels more like a documentary than a movie, which adds a lot to it. All of the performances are fantastic (I didn't even realize that i'd been watching Gillian Anderson until I read something that mentioned her after the fact) But the part that effected me the most, which I was not expecting, is that much like A Beautiful Mind managed to convey a taste of what it's like to live with schizophrenia, this film conveys a taste of what it's like to live in the constant fear of a person living under the rule of a monster like Amin.

The movie is definitely not for everyone, as some of the violence is BRUTAL. There were a couple of scenes where I could not do anything but study, in detail, the lights on the side walls of the theater. But it is an absolutely OUTSTANDING film, and definitely one that stays with you after you leave the theater.

http://www.hollywood.com/

A Scottish doctor on a Ugandan medical mission becomes irreversibly entangled with one of the world’s most barbaric figures: Idi Amin. Impressed by Dr. Garrigan’s brazen attitude in a moment of crisis, the newly self-appointed Ugandan President Amin hand picks him as his personal physician and closest confidante. Though Garrigan is at first flattered and fascinated by his new position, he soon awakens to Amin’s savagery--and his own complicity in it. Horror and betrayal ensue as Garrigan tries to right his wrongs and escape Uganda alive.

Director Credit
    Kevin MacDonald Director

Cast Credit
    Forest Whitaker Idi Amin
    James McAvoy Nicholas Garrigan
    Kerry Washington Kay Amin
    Gillian Anderson Sarah Merrit
    Simon McBurney Stone
    David Oyelowo Dr Junju
    Stephen Rwangyezi Jonah Wasswa
    Abby Mukiibi Masanga
    Adam Kotz Dr Merrit