+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oscar Nominations 2007

Since Dreamgirls has been snubbed I hope Little Miss Sunshine takes the big prize.

I've read that this is the first time that the leading contender ( Dreamgirls ) in nominations, hasn't been nominated for Best Picture. I thought Letters From Iwo Jima would be nominated in the foreign film category, as it was at the Golden Globes. But I loved Little Miss Sunshine, especially Abigail Breslin, and agree with others that she doesn't have that weird possessed by an adult vibe that so many child actors have. Also, glad to see they did not look over Ryan Gosling and Mark Wahlberg, and Pan's Labryinth, but they did snub Volver for a foreign film nod.

This also has to be the most diverse group of nominations I've ever seen.

Americas Next Top Model 9 Cookiez's Avatar
    J-Hud for the win!
    The future of fashion, America's Next Top Model

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander;2214146;
    I've read that this is the first time that the leading contender ( Dreamgirls ) in nominations, hasn't been nominated for Best Picture. I thought Letters From Iwo Jima would be nominated in the foreign film category, as it was at the Golden Globes. But I loved Little Miss Sunshine, especially Abigail Breslin, and agree with others that she doesn't have that weird possessed by an adult vibe that so many child actors have. Also, glad to see they did not look over Ryan Gosling and Mark Wahlberg, and Pan's Labryinth, but they did snub Volver for a foreign film nod.

This also has to be the most diverse group of nominations I've ever seen.
    The Oscars seems to be aligning more and more with the critics and their awards the past couple of years. Remember that although "Dreamgirls" has received much critical acclaim, they have yet to win a single critics' award (I.E. BFCA, NY Film Critics Association, etc). Based on this premise, "The Departed" has won multiple critics' awards, so it is a STRONG contender for Best Picture. "Babel" is really up in the air for me, since it looks like a great film but it reminds me too much of "Crash", which by the way soo did not deserve the Best Picture win last year. "Little Miss Sunshine" was a little bit of a surprise for me, but a good surprise! I loved the synical tone of the movie and the performances in it. "The Queen" is another movie that I am excited to see on the list. Again, this is another film that was loved by the critics and has a good chance. Overall, I would be so so so excited if "Little Miss Sunshine" wins, very excited to see "The Queen" win, and not suprised at all if "The Departed" wins.

BTW, go Helen Mirren!!! I cannot wait for "The Queen" to come to a theater near me !

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I'm glad they give out the Supporting actor awards early in the show, so I don't have to stay up all night. Go Jennifer!

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet;2214045;
    I can't believe Little Miss Sunshine was nominated. I did not like that movie and don't understand all the hype about it. The language was a huge turn-off (from a grandfather no less), and the role model he was for his granddaughter was incomprehensible.

I can't either. That movie was one of the WORST movies I saw in the past year. I've seen it described at "heartwarming" and I sure as heck don't get that description. Depressing, yes. It was HORRIBLE. I liken that little girl's nomination to the year Marissa Tomei got nominated (and unfortunately won) for "My Cousin Vinny". Just a total oddball throw-away nomination.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Just from the previews Little Miss Sunshine seemed annoying to me, the kind of movie I wouldn't waste a couple of hours on and I won't.

I'm glad Leo got nominated but I would rather had seen him get the nom for The Departed, in which he was brilliant.
    I think it would be a cold day in hell before Beyonce gets nominated for an Oscar; the Academy needs to maintain some credibility and actors don't really like fluff music singers invading their turf and for good reason. She is the reason I probably won't see Dreamgirls.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Americas Next Top Model 9 Cookiez's Avatar
    Well it is a musical and they do need people who can sing....
    The future of fashion, America's Next Top Model

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2217186;

I think it would be a cold day in hell before Beyonce gets nominated for an Oscar; the Academy needs to maintain some credibility and actors don't really like fluff music singers invading their turf and for good reason. She is the reason I probably won't see Dreamgirls.
    I almost avoided Dreamgirls for the same reason. Fortunately, Jennifer and Eddie Murphy still the film so often that you can look past her.

I remember Beyonce saying in an interview after Chicago came out that she thought singers should get those roles instead of actors. Well, Beyonce, in a musical you need to be able to sing and act. Stage actors can often do both, but just because you have platinum albums doesn't mean you should automatically get leads in musicals made into films. I was glad to hear the Beyonce did have an acting coach for her role as Deena. I thought she was okay, but she coulld still use some more lessons, especially compared to Jennifer's performance.
    Last edited by rt1ky; 01-26-2007 at 08:27 PM.

Luckily the story of Diana, errr... I mean Deena... isn't all that deep. All it really required was one showstopping number ("Listen"--which the original show didn't even have) and that was it. As long as Beyonce could do the choreography (which she certainly could) and not appear wooden (which thankfully she didn't) there was little danger of her ruining anything.

The show/movie is about Effie. Jennifer Holiday made sure of that, or else the original show probably never would have gotten off the drawing board in the first place. The emotional arc/journey is hers. All Diana, err... I mean Deena does is sing and dance, gloat at one point to Effie, get rich, have one single scene of emotional dissatisfaction, and then... heck I won't ruin the rest for you except to state again that its not that deep.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast