+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Babel

Babel

http://www.hollywood.com/

In the remote sands of the Moroccan desert, a rifle shot rings out--detonating a chain of events that will link an American tourist couple’s frantic struggle to survive, two Moroccan boys involved in an accidental crime, a nanny illegally crossing into Mexico with two American children and a Japanese teen rebel whose father is sought by the police in Tokyo. Separated by clashing cultures and sprawling distances, each of these four disparate groups of people are nevertheless hurtling towards a shared destiny of isolation and grief. In the course of just a few days, they will each face the dizzying sensation of becoming profoundly lost--lost in the desert, lost to the world, lost to themselves--as they are pushed to the farthest edges of confusion and fear as well as to the very depths of connection and love.

Director Credit
    Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu Director

Cast Credit
    Brad Pitt Richard
    Cate Blanchett Susan
    Gael Garcia Bernal Santiago
    Elle Fanning Debbie
    Koji Yakusho Yasujiro
    Adriana Barraza Amelia
    Rinko Kikuchi Chieko
    Said Tarchani Ahmed
    Boubker Ait El Caid Yussef
    Nathan Gamble Mike
    Mohamed Akhzam Anwar
    Peter Wight Tom

CCL
    There wasn't a thread for this before? I found it quite a compelling movie, particularly the Japanese storyline.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

this movie is really bad!

It wasn't bad Just slow moving, in the same context as crash. I found it to be edited poorly along with the various scene structure that really caught me offguard.

Overall, I would say it was ok but not deserving many nominations.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2208710;
    There wasn't a thread for this before? I found it quite a compelling movie, particularly the Japanese storyline.
    WOW .. and I thought it was pretty compelling except the Japanese story line, which I found confusing/hard-to-follow and loaded with too much distracting filler, such as the rave scene and the silent psychedelics.

Quote Originally Posted by jecado;2221127;
    It wasn't bad Just slow moving, in the same context as crash. I found it to be edited poorly along with the various scene structure that really caught me offguard.

Overall, I would say it was ok but not deserving many nominations.
    The scene structure may very well be part of what I'm referring to in the above comment. I only saw it once and I'm one of these people who has to see a movie ( at least ) twice ... once for story and once for technique. The only thing that took me off guard for a moment was the tie at the end with the telephone call to the maid.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fanatic
    I just couldn't believe that this is what Hollywood considers as the best it has to offer. It was a complete waste of my time to watch the first 30 minutes that I suffered through before turning it off and promptly returning it to the rental store to get it out of my house. No matter how it came together at the end (yes I have heard) there was no reason to show the stuff it showed to convey whatever message it was trying to get across.

Hollywood is so desensitized that they have to go over the top more and more to shock themselves then offer it up to the public as if we are as insensitive to that stuff. All the forensic shows have gone from solving murders forsencialy to how much more sick twisted shocking murders can we come up with, along with the FX channel with Nip Tuck, Dirt and now the Riches.

Sorry for the rant but Babel was just such a horrible movie to be considered one of the best this year. Why can't there just be good movies with a good story that is shot beautifully acted well and universally accepted as a great story. Looking back at things like Out of Africa or movies like that. Wow, where have they gone?

Looks like I just babbled on huh? Sorry.

I respect your opinion Bandy but, to each his or her own right? I liked this movie a lot.

I haven't talked about it to friends and family like I do when I LOVE a movie and "push" people to go see/rent it. It was a little on the slow side but, I was in a mood that the movie fit that day. I would not tell someone to not see it. I'd give it a B+.

FORT Fanatic
    Absolutely and I guess it is a good thing I am not a movie critic in my book it would have gotten an F-. I couldn't find one redeeming thing about it well except I do like Cate Blanchett but that is about all for me her name was on the marquee.

I liked this movie!!!!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

FORT Fanatic
    Just curious to those that liked it would it have been as good a movie for you without the masturbation scene with the young boy, the two shots up the girls skirt and the chicken blood everywhere in front of those kids.
    I guess I am asking if those things could have been left out or implied and been the same movie? For me in those scenes I didn't see the need and it was enough for me not to want to watch anymore.

What do you think if you liked the film?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast