+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Children of Men

An excellent, excellent movie, and one I will likely buy when it comes out on DVD as it would certainly seem to bear repeated viewings.

Something I thought about as we were walking home - my very favourite English movies (or movies about English people) were all directed by people of other countries: Spinal Tap - Reiner (American); The Limey - Soderbergh (American); Spider - Cronenberg (Canadian); and Children of Men - Cuaron (Mexican). Not really sure what this means.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Saw this movie and it had a strong effect on me. What a dark, dark world. Hope this isn't our future, or that of our children. I love Clive Owen. He is one of my favorite actors. You just feel all the things he is feeling and his eyes are so soulful. Terrific acting my everyone including the wonderful Michael Caine.

yea, great movie. a lot better than i expected.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

it was okay, i think they should have stuck more to the book

Going to see this one next week.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    We saw this last night....very well done...chaotic and confusing at times, but just reflecting what was going on in the movie's world...no idea whom to trust or what was about to happen.
    One word of warning for those who get seasick... if you're ever bothered by handheld camera work...e.g., Blair Witch Project or Hannah and her Sisters...this one did me in as well. Not nearly as jumpy as those films, but not helped by sittling on the end of a row far to one side of the screen, up close, due to packed conditions. Fortunately able to run out when it got too much (and find a discarded popcorn bag and a quiet corner, barf a little, and still get back in time for the ending--I know, TMI), but very frustrating as it was otherwise a very good film. My Sig. Other of course totally not affected..just like on boats.

Oh PWS, you poor thing. I get this occasionally but only when it's extreme, like the time we saw Polar Express in an IMAX theater. Bad idea.

I am hearing all kinds of talk about this movie. A lot of people think it's Oscar-worthy but being dumped out of theaters too quickly because it's not generating enough income. I haven't been able to swing a babysitter for a movie recently, but this one is my first choice at the moment.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;2211564;
    I am hearing all kinds of talk about this movie. A lot of people think it's Oscar-worthy but being dumped out of theaters too quickly because it's not generating enough income.
    Hm, I hadn't heard that. I was expecting it to get nominated for Best Picture actually and am surprised that it did not. Oh, well.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2213153;
    Hm, I hadn't heard that. I was expecting it to get nominated for Best Picture actually and am surprised that it did not. Oh, well.
    Me too. I wondered if it missed the cutoff for this year's Oscar race. Best Picture or Michael Caine for Best Supporting Actor would have gotten my votes.

I'm still thinking about the movie a couple of weeks after I saw it. If it's not as good as the book like Snickers wrote than I think I'm going to have to get the book.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn;2215718;
    Me too. I wondered if it missed the cutoff for this year's Oscar race. Best Picture or Michael Caine for Best Supporting Actor would have gotten my votes.
    It can't have - it got three nominations: Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Cinematography (and no kidding on that) and best something else technical, I can't remember exactly what.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast