+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What "Best Picture" winner do you think is the most overrated?

FORT Fan

What "Best Picture" winner do you think is the most overrated?

I think American Beauty totally sucked and didn't deserve best picture. I also think The English Patient wasn't so great either.

I wasn't keen on Tne English Patient either.
    I didn't like American Beauty the first time I saw it.
    It wasn't what I was expecting.
    I don't know what I was expecting, but that wasn't it.
    I watched it again at home and enjoyed it on second viewing.

Did Shakespeare in Love win best picture?
    I know it got a few awards and I never understood why.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Did Titanic win? If so, that was overrated. The effects were cool, but once I got over that and paid attention to the story I saw how stupid it was.

Reference List of Winners, for those of us with bad memories...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy...r_Best_Picture

Reading over that list you can tell some real crap has won over the years. The list also gives you all of the nominees, so its also enlightening to see which pictures lost to worse films but have over time come to be regarded as much bigger "classics". Consider, for example, the fact that in 1941 "How Green Was My Valley" won over "Citizen Kane", "The Maltese Falcon" and Hitchcock's "Suspicion", among other films (there used to be a LOT more nominees per year--in 1941 there were 10 for example).

Here's one I spotted. In 1944 the lame lighthearted Bing Crosby romp "Going My Way" won over the rather seminal noir film, "Double Indemnity". Actually, the 1940s seem to be filled with lame movies which won over much better ones.

And I will be the first one to say it... 1995's Braveheart? Sucked. ANY of the other nominees were better.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Thank Krom. It's offical. Titanic is overrated.

I hated Titanic. Thought the story line sucked, thought the dialogue sucked, hated the characters and their motivations (she flipped him the bird??? C'mon. ), hated most everything except the special effects. Plus, he looked like a little kid in that movie. She was hot, though.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I have yet to be able to watch Titanic all the way through, even though I've made attempts at different times since it was released on video and was with friends or family and they were watching it. I didn't go to see it in the theater when it came out because the previews just looked so silly, and because I can't stand to watch Leo DiCaprio in anything. But on my attempts to watch it since, I just can't get through more than 15 minutes before having to leave the room or go home if the video playing was at a friend/family member's house. Sometimes I have to laugh out loud because the dialog and script is so bad, and Leo's 'acting' is as bad as always. So yes, I'd put this in the over-rated list.

Continuing on the list of winners... there are a great many who I felt shouldn't have won over the other Best Picture nominees (such as 1940's Rebecca over The Grapes of Wrath, but I'll just stick to the winners on their own merit:

Over-rated Best Picture Winners

1944's Going My Way
    1956's Around The World in Eighty Days
    1958's Gigi
    1980's Ordinary People
    1983's Terms of Endearment
    1990's Dances With Wolves ...HUGELY over-rated, as is anything done by Kevin Costner
    1995's Braveheart
    1997's Titanic
    1999's American Beauty
    2001's A Beautiful Mind I usually like Ron Howard films, but not this one, this seemed silly and reeks from Russell Crowe's ego-tripping, and all this aside from the fact that it never should have won over LoTR.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    ** I liked Titantic......**
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

bbnbama - So do I and Dances With Wolves.

The English Patient wins my vote for most overrated.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I loved American Beauty. *hides*
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast