+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What "Best Picture" winner do you think is the most overrated?

Only looking at the movies since I was born. Which Best Pictures do I think did not deserve to win based on my enjoyment of the movie and based on my opinions of the competition? To me a Best Picture should change the viewer's life or opinions. It should stay with them for the rest of their lives. It should be movie that you stop everything when you see it on TV. It is a movie you tell your children and grandchildren about. That is why I made my list the way I did.

1977 (50th) Annie Hall-should have been imo Star Wars
    1979 (52nd) Kramer vs. Kramer-should have been imo Breaking Away or Apocalypse Now
    1984 (57th) Amadeus-should have been imo The Killing Fields or Places in the Heart
    1994 (67th) Forrest Gump-should have been imo Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption1997 (70th) Titanic-should have been imo LA Confidential
    1998 (71st) Shakespeare in Love-should have been imo Life is Beautiful or Saving Private Ryan
    1999 (72nd) American Beauty-should have been imo The Sixth Sense or The Green Mile
    2002 (75th) Chicago-should have been imo LOTR: The Two Towers
    2004 (77th) Million Dollar Baby-should have been imo Finding Neverland or Sideways
    2005 (78th) Crash-should have been imo anything lese but Brokeback Mountain

I haven't really been paying attention to the Oscar's until this year when they gave out the awards for 2005 films, so I'm not the one to judge. I can judge Crash, and I don't think it's overrated. I liked the film, but I found it weird how everyone was connected.

And I was kinda surprised that Walk the Line wasn't nominated for Best Picture. It shouldn't have won, but it should have been nominated. Yeah, it was boring at some parts, but overall, it's really good. Especially because of Reese Witherspoon.

FORT Fogey
    Milllion Dollar Baby did NOT deserve any of all that praise!

Judging from only the recent year ones that Kimrs posted, I definitely think Shakespear in Love and Chicago were overrated. Chicago was fun to watch, great visuals and decent performances, but honestly, it was not my idea of an Oscar Best Picture. Same goes to Shakespeare and Saving Private Ryan should've won, I was very disappointed that year.

i think titanic was overrated. i was surprised it won best picture that year.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Forrest Gump - one of the stupidest movies I've ever seen. It put me off Tom Hanks for a long time.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12