+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Awards Nominations Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;2183753;
    Best Ensemble cast is part of the Screen Actor Guild Awards, FYI

As to Animated Feature, GO CARS!!! LOVE THAT MOVIE!!
    I think they also have that award at the Emmy's. If I'm right, that award went to The Office recently.

And that's good because Cars rocked my socks too! This year's Best Animated Feature is really good because all of the nominee IMO are deadlocked. I haven't watched Happy Feet or Monster House, but from the critics POV, they're pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2184267;
    Jean Smart was the First Lady on 24 and did a great job of going from full-on nutso to super-smart, nailing evil president to the wall during the course of the season. She was awesome.
    I totally agree. When they had the Emmy nominations, the first thing I did was to scan through and see if she was nominated. Her performance of the first lady was stellar - very memorable. I knew Jean Smart had been in all kinds of stuff, but this was the first time she caught my attention. She is a huge part of why 24 was so good this past season. I can't imagine it would have been nearly as good without her. It's a pity she didn't get a Globe nomination.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    Im so tired of not seeing The Wire get its Golden Globe nod. Its the best show on Television, Its critically acclaimed, has loyal fans...maybe its too real for the Foreign Press.
    As for Beyonce getting a nod as Best actress....It should be Jennifer as Best actress not supporting as she was the star of Dreamgirls. Beyonce was good but not enough for a nod. ( Good movie..go see it!!!)
    I would have loved to see Rudy Youngblood get a nod , he was the lead it Apocolypto..he was terrific.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulahbaby;2188503;
    Im so tired of not seeing The Wire get its Golden Globe nod. Its the best show on Television, Its critically acclaimed, has loyal fans...maybe its too real for the Foreign Press.
    As for Beyonce getting a nod as Best actress....It should be Jennifer as Best actress not supporting as she was the star of Dreamgirls. Beyonce was good but not enough for a nod. ( Good movie..go see it!!!)
    I would have loved to see Rudy Youngblood get a nod , he was the lead it Apocolypto..he was terrific.
    Actually, if I were you, I would be glad that Jennifer is nominated in the supporting actress category. The Golden Globes categorize their awards differently. They have a Best Actress for musical/comedies and one for a drama.... you get what I mean. But at the Oscar's, the Best Actress is categorized into one.

From all the good criticism Helen Mirren is getting for her role in The Queen, she is a shoe-in to win Best Actress. If Jennifer had been nominated in the Best Actress category, she could have had a chance to win a Golden Globe (since she would be in a different category than Helen Mirren), but there would be the slightest chance she could have won Best Actress at the Oscar's.

That's just it, CrossingGuard. There's so many excellent atresses in the Best Actress category that Jennifer would have slim to no chance of an award like Beyonce's chances are. However, in the Supporting Actress category, she actually has some chance of winning. Which, in my opinion, she deserves over Beyonce.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/en...788947400.html

Hollywood producers pick best film nominees

Wed Jan 03, 9:44 PM ET

The Producers Guild of America picked a wide range of nominees on Wednesday for 2006's best film, including musical "Dreamgirls" and crime thriller "The Departed," giving all the movies a boost in Hollywood's Oscar race.

Comedy "Little Miss Sunshine," cultural drama "Babel" and "The Queen," about Britain's royal family, were the other best movie nominees.

The list features a diverse group of films in both genre and budget size, which contrasts to last year when many low-budget dramas were considered among the year's top films.

"Dreamgirls," for instance, is a flashy Hollywood musical with big-name stars such as actor Jamie Foxx and singer Beyonce Knowles. By contrast, "Little Miss Sunshine," was made outside Hollywood's studio system for a around $8 million.

"I love the variety -- the mixture of dramas, a musical and a comedy, and the fact that you have big budgets and small budgets," said Producers Guild Executive Director Vance Van Petten.

The association of film and television producers is among the industry's top organizations, and Hollywood watchers follow its nominees closely when tracking movies competing for Oscars, the film industry's top honors.

The Guild also nominated the makers of five films for best animated movie: "Cars," "Happy Feet," "Ice Age: The Meltdown," "Monster House" and "Flushed Away."

For best U.S. TV drama, the organization picked the producers of hospital programs "Grey's Anatomy" and "House," crime shows "24" and "The Sopranos," as well as "Lost."

The nominees for top TV comedy produced "Arrested Development," "Curb Your Enthusiasm," "The Office," "My Name is Earl" and "Weeds."

Among other TV awards it will give out are best "non-fiction" -- reality or news -- program. Competitors for that award include the producers of talent contests "American Idol" and "Project Runway," "The Amazing Race 9," "Dancing with the Stars," and venerable news program, "60 Minutes."

Nominees for best "long-form" TV program include "Mrs. Harris," "High School Musical," "Elizabeth I," "Bleak House" and "Flight 93."

The Producers Guild names its winners in a ceremony in Los Angeles on January 20. The Oscars are handed out by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on February 25.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

SAG nominations came out today. Thoughts?

13TH ANNUAL SCREEN ACTORS GUILD AWARDS® NOMINATIONS
    THEATRICAL MOTION PICTURES

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
    Leonardo DiCaprio / BLOOD DIAMOND – Archer - Warner Bros. Pictures
    Ryan Gosling / HALF NELSON – Dan Dunne - THINKFilm
    Peter O’Toole / VENUS – Maurice - Miramax Films
    Will Smith / THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS – Chris Gardner - Sony Pictures
    Forest Whitaker / THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND – Idi Amin - Fox Searchlight Pictures

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
    Penelope Cruz / VOLVER – Raimunda - Sony Pictures Classics
    Judi Dench / NOTES ON A SCANDAL – Barbara Covett - Fox Searchlight Pictures
    Helen Mirren / THE QUEEN – The Queen - Miramax Films.
    Meryl Streep / THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA – Miranda Priestly - 20th Century Fox
    Kate Winslet / LITTLE CHILDREN – Sarah Pierce - New Line Cinema

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
    Alan Arkin / LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE – Grandpa Fox Searchlight Pictures
    Leonardo DiCaprio / THE DEPARTED – Billy Warner Bros. Pictures
    Jackie Earle Haley / LITTLE CHILDREN – Ronnie J. McGorvey New Line Cinema
    Djimon Hounsou / BLOOD DIAMOND – Solomon Warner Bros. Pictures
    Eddie Murphy / DREAMGIRLS – James “Thunder” Early Paramount Pictures

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
    Adriana Barraza / BABEL – Amelia - Paramount Vantage
    Cate Blanchett / NOTES ON A SCANDAL – Sheba Hart - Fox Searchlight Pictures
    Abigail Breslin / LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE – Olive - Fox Searchlight Pictures
    Jennifer Hudson / DREAMGIRLS – Effie White - Paramount Pictures
    Rinko Kikuchi / BABEL – Chieko - Paramount Vantage

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
    BABEL - Paramount Vantage
    BOBBY - The Weinstein Company
    THE DEPARTED - Warner Bros. Pictures
    DREAMGIRLS - Paramount Pictures
    LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE - Fox Searchlight Pictures

PRIMETIME TELEVISION
    Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries
    Thomas Haden Church / BROKEN TRAIL – Tom Harte - AMC
    Robert Duvall / BROKEN TRAIL – Print Ritter - AMC
    Jeremy Irons / ELIZABETH I – Earl of Leicester - HBO
    William H. Macy / NIGHTMARES & DREAMSCAPES – Clyde Umney - TNT
    Matthew Perry / THE RON CLARK STORY – Ron Clark - TNT

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries
    Annette Bening / MRS. HARRIS – Jean Harris - HBO
    Shirley Jones / HIDDEN PLACES – Aunt Batty - Hallmark Channel
    Cloris Leachman / MRS. HARRIS – Tarnower’s Sister - HBO
    Helen Mirren / ELIZABETH I – Elizabeth I - HBO
    Greta Scacchi / BROKEN TRAIL – Nola Johns - AMC

O utstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
    James Gandolfini / THE SOPRANOS – Tony Soprano - HBO
    Michael C. Hall / DEXTER – Dexter Morgan - Showtime
    Hugh Laurie / HOUSE – Dr. Gregory House - FOX
    James Spader / BOSTON LEGAL – Alan Shore - ABC
    Kiefer Sutherland / 24 – Jack Bauer - FOX

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
    Patricia Arquette / MEDIUM – Allison Dubois - NBC
    Edie Falco / THE SOPRANOS – Carmela Soprano - HBO
    Mariska Hargitay / LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT – Det. Olivia Benson - NBC
    Kyra Sedgwick / THE CLOSER – Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson - TNT
    Chandra Wilson / GREY’S ANATOMY – Dr. Miranda Bailey - ABC

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series
    Alec Baldwin / 30 ROCK – Jack Donaghy - NBC
    Steve Carell / THE OFFICE – Michael Scott - NBC
    Jason Lee / MY NAME IS EARL – Earl Hicke - NBC
    Jeremy Piven / ENTOURAGE – Ari Gold - HBO
    Tony Shalhoub / MONK – Adrian Monk - USA

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series
    America Ferrera / UGLY BETTY – Betty Suarez - ABC
    Felicity Huffman / DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES – Lynette - ABC
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus / THE NEW ADVENTURES OF OLD CHRISTINE – Christine Campbell - CBS
    Megan Mullally / WILL & GRACE – Karen Walker - NBC
    Mary-Louise Parker / WEEDS – Nancy Botwin - Showtime
    Jaime Pressly / MY NAME IS EARL – Joy - NBC

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
    24 - FOX
    BOSTON LEGAL - ABC
    DEADWOOD - HBO
    GREY’S ANATOMY - ABC
    THE SOPRANOS - HBO

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
    DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES - ABC
    ENTOURAGE - HBO
    THE OFFICE - NBC
    UGLY BETTY - ABC
    WEEDS - SHOWTIME

Screen Actors Guild Awards 43rd Annual Life Achievement Award
    Julie Andrews

If you want to see all the people listed for the ensembles you can go to: http://www.sagawards.com/PR_070104.htm

Personally, pretty happy with these choices, minus a few surprises. Though I'm not sure the time period they're based on? Because I would have thought perhaps Heroes stood a chance.

Glad to see Chandra Wilson got a nomination. She's awesome on Grey's. The show would definitely not be the same without her.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2195241;
    SAG nominations came out today. Thoughts?
    That its a vindication--and maybe a happy sign for the Academy Awards--that Jennifer Hudson got nominated in her category and Beyonce didn't. It also shows that SAG might actually be nominating on actual performances more than what the studios are pushing...

Also its REALLY great that Michael C. Hall and "Dexter" are being recognized. Yes, I know he was a critical darling from his last show (a show I actually kind of disliked), but its nice to see that something completely different, like Dexter, didn't scare recognition away.
    Last edited by Krom; 01-05-2007 at 12:36 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Along with the SAG award snub, Beyonce is also out of the running for the Best Song Oscar should "Listen" get a nomination.

Beyonce has learned that she won’t receive an Oscar, even if her signature track ‘Listen’ from forthcoming film ‘Dreamgirls’ wins in the February ceremony.
    As reported on MTV, Academy rules stipulate that only three writers can be recognized for the category of Best Original Song, and in this case Beyonce misses the cut.

The decision as to who receives the three nods is made by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences; if there are more than three writing credits for a track then they decide which of the writers contributed the most.

Beyonce was judged to have contributed the least to ‘Listen’, putting her out of the race for an Oscar for Best Original Song.

However it’s not all bad: Beyonce is tipped as a contender for Best Actress.

All will be revealed when the nominations are announced on January 23rd.
    http://www.entertainmentwise.com/

I would have sympathy for her if she hadn't made such backhanded compliments about Jennifer when discussing Dreamgirls. Link

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast