+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Pursuit of Happyness

The Pursuit of Happyness

http://www.hollywood.com/

Chris Gardner is a bright and talented, but marginally employed salesman. Struggling to make ends meet, Gardner finds himself and his five-year-old son evicted from their San Francisco apartment with nowhere to go. When Gardner lands an internship at a prestigious stock brokerage firm, he and his son endure many hardships, including living in shelters, in pursuit of his dream of a better life for the two of them.

Director Credit
    Gabriele Muccino Director
    Cast Credit
    Will Smith Christopher Gardner
    Thandie Newton Linda
    Jaden Smith Christopher
    Dan Castellaneta Alan Frakesh
    Zuhair Haddad The Cab Driver
    Brian Howe Jay Twistle
    Last edited by Cornedbeef; 12-12-2006 at 01:47 PM.

The only reason this movie interests me is because it's based on a true story.

I don't know about Smith though. I don't really rate his acting and it seems to me that he's cast for his potential box office pull rather than for his acting skills.

I think this movie looks wonderful. I love that Will's own son plays his son in the movie... think that will add a special intimacy between the characters.

Will also received a Golden Globe nomination today. This is one that I might slip out to see on my day off tomorrow.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I saw Will, his son and the guy this movie is about on Oprah today.
    I have to say my interested has been piqued.

Please report back if you do go to the movie, Broadway.
    I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I saw the story about the guy on 20/20 a few years ago and was fascinated.

Plus, I like Will Smith--he's just a very pleasant actor to watch and he's shown some serious acting chops before he started doing all the action films. The reviews I've read seem to say the movie's on the hokey side, but hokey works for me sometimes. I may drag the husband to a matinee this weekend. It'll be nice to get out and enjoy life again!

Does the spelling of "happyness" drive anyone else crazy, or is that just me?

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2178260;
    Nope, it bothers me, too. I don't really get why they did that...anyone know?

The anal English major in me HATES spelling errors. Typos I can take; spelling errors I cannot.

Lois.. I've wondered why the deliberate spelling change, too, but I haven't taken the time to look.

eta: I went googling (sung to the tune of Krogers' theme song) and found the following:

Spelling of the title
    The main character takes his son to Mrs Chu's day-care centre in San Francisco's Chinatown. He points out to the proprietess that the word is misspelled on the mural the children have painted ("Fun, Joy, Happyness"). She replies that it doesn't matter whether "happiness" is spelled correctly, only that children have it
    Last edited by Broadway; 12-14-2006 at 09:15 PM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I thought I made a typo writing out happyness so I changed it to the right spelling happiness only to find out they spelt it happyness all along.

Oh gosh, I knew here I would find people who noticed and are bothered by "happyness". Every time I see an ad, all I think is 'that's not how you spell it'. No wonder so many young, young children aren't able to spell correctly. Incorrect spelling is everywhere. That being said, I think the movie looks very endearing and heartwarming. While I probably won't see it in the theatre, I'll most definitely be renting it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast