+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Pursuit of Happyness

Broadway the actual part that ended up crying at was
    Click to see Spoiler:
    when Will's character got the job at the end of the movie and when he was trying to keep it all in, from that point on I was mush. I could have cried at many more parts though.

I told my Mum and step dad all about it and they are going to see it today I believe.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    While traveling read a news story that Will Smith really does know how to do a Rubik's cube really fast now...that he seemed to have a knack for it... and that he was taught by a guy who was a Rubik's cube champ, named Tyson (Asian last name), who I'm guessing was Tyson from last year's Beauty and the Geek.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2188478;
    While traveling read a news story that Will Smith really does know how to do a Rubik's cube really fast now...that he seemed to have a knack for it... and that he was taught by a guy who was a Rubik's cube champ, named Tyson (Asian last name), who I'm guessing was Tyson from last year's Beauty and the Geek.
    I don't know the guy's name but it is indeed the guy from "Beauty and the Geek." I remember reading a story on him (the "Geek") before the movie came out and he said that Will Smith was a pretty fast learner.

stuck in reality Asylum-ECT-girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2178260;
    Does the spelling of "happyness" drive anyone else crazy, or is that just me?
    Happiness (Happyness) is intentionally spelled like that because of a daycare school in the movie. It is explained that it is the wrong spelling in the movie too.

It also has something to do with a book of the same name (which I haven't read) but it has some kind of symbolic meaning for Chris Garner, who the movie is based on.

FORT Fogey
    I went to see this movie on Monday. I have to admit that I'm torn on what I think of it. I was really looking forward to it, because Chris Garner's story is simply amazing to me. I've been in awe of the man every time I've ever heard him speak, or heard any piece of his story. It sounds kind of weird to say it, but I think that his story was the one good thing about the movie. I didn't really feel like Will Smith, or the movie in general, added anything to telling it. If I was not familiar with Chris Gardner before seeing the movie, I probably would have been knocked over by it. But since I was, I was left just feeling kind of "eh".

The main character takes his son to Mrs Chu's day-care centre in San Francisco's Chinatown. He points out to the proprietess that the word is misspelled on the mural the children have painted ("Fun, Joy, Happyness"). She replies that it doesn't matter whether "happiness" is spelled correctly, only that children have it
    Hey everyone, was it just me or was this part actually missing in the movie? I remember him asking the gentleman outside the daycare center about the misspelling and the man answering back in Chinese. I don't remember him asking Mrs. Chu this at all, or hearing her explanation. It actually would've been a nice touch because the misspelling is touched on often--but no explanation is given for it.

And oh my goodness, how cute was Jaden Smith? He's already a fantastic little actor!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2246540;
    Hey everyone, was it just me or was this part actually missing in the movie? I remember him asking the gentleman outside the daycare center about the misspelling and the man answering back in Chinese. I don't remember him asking Mrs. Chu this at all, or hearing her explanation. It actually would've been a nice touch because the misspelling is touched on often--but no explanation is given for it.

And oh my goodness, how cute was Jaden Smith? He's already a fantastic little actor!

That part it is the book, which has a lot more information. I agree about Jaden, he is going to be a star.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Ah, thanks JLuvs. I should get the book. Chris Gardner seems like a fascinating man!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123