+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DreamGirls - 12/25

DreamGirls - 12/25

I cannot wait for this one to come out. Getting such a great buzz, and there's nothing like a great musical around the holidays. The reviews are tremendous so far, and AI's Jennifer Hudson is alreadly getting Oscar buzz for her performance. Rosie said they stood up during the premiere to give her a standing ovation.

From Rollling Stone:

"Hudson, 25, appeared on Idol's third season, a runner-up reduced to the slag heap by judge Simon Cowell. What sweet revenge! Hudson's film debut is a glorious, Oscar-ready cause for celebration. She can act. She can nail a laugh with the sassy curl of her lip. She can break your heart by letting her eyes show how she hurts. And she can sing until the roof comes off the multiplex. As it will when she tears into "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going," a war cry of a song in which Effie futilely battles to stop Curtis from throwing her out of the Dreams and his bed. For those, me included, who saw the great Jennifer Holliday play Effie onstage, the moment is revelatory. Hudson seems to absorb Holliday's spirit while making the role her own. It's a tribute to both their talents. "

It only seems appropriate to me that she was cast in this role over Fantasia who also auditioned for the part. To me, she was born to play this and so happy to see her being recognized as the star that she is.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Beyonce: I Wish I Was as Big as Jennifer Hudson

Posted Dec 5th 2006 2:38PM by TMZ Staff
    Filed under: Movies, Celebrity Feuds, Beyonce Knowles
    Beyonce Knowles set out to clear up rumors of jealousy over the attention her "Dreamgirls" co-star Jennifer Hudson has been receiving. Her plan may have backfired.
    Beyonce Knowles and Jennifer HudsonDuring a recent interview, a humble Beyoncé said she "knew that the character that I played wasn't the star ... I'm already a star. I already have nine Grammys. Everyone knows I can sing."

Beyoncé definitely belts out some beautiful melodies, but when she said, "I wish I could have gained 20 pounds and played Effie," we hear the flip side of her tune. Although most of Beyoncé's comments seemed a little backhanded, she did go on to give props to Hudson by saying, "She did incredible."

This interview, meant to defuse the rumored feud, could rekindle the diva dis.
    Link

http://www.hollywood.com/

Set in the turbulent early 1960s to mid-70s, the tale follows the rise of a trio of women--Effie, Deena and Lorrell--who have formed a promising girl group called The Dreamettes. At a talent competition, they are discovered by an ambitious manager named Curtis Taylor, Jr., who offers them the opportunity of a lifetime: to become the back-up singers for headliner James "Thunder" Early. Curtis gradually takes control of the girls' look and sound, eventually giving them their own shot in the spotlight as The Dreams. That spotlight, however, begins to narrow in on Deena, finally pushing the less attractive Effie out altogether. Though the Dreams become a cross-over phenomenon, they soon realize that the cost of fame and fortune may be higher than they ever imagined.

Bill Condon Director

Cast Credit
    Beyonce Knowles Deena Jones
    Jamie Foxx Curtis Taylor, Jr.
    Eddie Murphy James "Thunder" Early
    Danny Glover Marty Madison
    Jennifer Hudson Effie
    Anika Noni Rose Lorrell Robinson
    Keith Robinson C.C. White
    Bobby Slayton Sandy Price
    John Krasinski Sam Walsh
    Jocko Sims Elvis Kelly
    Sharon Leal Michelle Morris
    Hinton Battle Wayne
    Jordan Belfi Adam Brooks
    Yvette Nicole Brown Curtis' Secretary
    Yvette Cason May
    Robert Cicchini Nicky Sylvano
    Colvon Collins Jimmy - Early Band
    Alexander Folk Ronald
    Jonell Kennedy Joann
    Dawnn Lewis Melba Early
    John Lithgow Jerry Harris
    Rory O'Malley Dave
    Ken Page Max Washigton
    Esther Scott Aunt Ethel
    Mariah I Wilson Magic
    Jordan Wright Teddy Campbell

Good that Jennifer Hudson is getting Oscar attention.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    My mom is watching the kids for me! (yay) So Im going to see the movie this afternoon. I'll let you all know how it is1
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    I just got back from seeing Dreamgirls. Jennifer Hudson was a religious experience. People gave her a standing ovation after singing "And Im telling you.." SHe took my breath away! Beyonce was actually great. She gave a really good performance and of course was breathtakingly beautiful. Anika Rose (the 3rd) dream girl was terrific as well... Eddie Murphy..I have never seen a performance like this from him....I hope he gets an Oscar nod....James Brown (RIP), Wilson Pickett and Marvin Gaye all rolled into one. Jamie Foxx was outstanding... I loved the costumes ,makeup and wigs!!!! The music was great ...I left feeling really happy!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Tallulah, I just saw it too! I agree with everything you said.

Jennifer was outstanding. I hope this is the start of a major career for her...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I'm so upset because I was planning on going to see this movie yesterday or today but I have come down with the flu and pink eye and I don't think the other moviegoers in the theater would appreciate me showing up and infecting everyone else! Guess I'll just have to continue to listen to the soundtrack and bide my time until I get better!!!

I'm so excited and proud for Jennifer Hudson...When I do go, I'll have to carry a box of Kleenex because I just listening to the soundtrack!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

It was fantastic...start to finish. The show really translated well into a movie, and Jennifer Hudson's performances are superb. I agree with Tallulah, Eddie Murphy is the most deserving of an Oscar nod in this movie. Jennifer was great, but her singing was just so superior to her acting.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

Americas Next Top Model 9 Cookiez's Avatar
    This movie is just.....amazing.
    The peformances, both music and acting, were just ,OMG, I'm speechless.
    Jennifer is just an angel with talent. 5 stars from me! Fantastic!
    The future of fashion, America's Next Top Model

My daughter and I tried to see this movie Christmas but it isn't playing near us yet. After reading your reviews I can't wait!
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast