+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DreamGirls - 12/25

So it is going to be more widely released? Not just pass me by and have to wait for DVD? It isn't even in the list for "coming soon" on our local theater's web site.
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter I don't know where you live but there must be a large enough city, near where you live, that is showing the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2196293;
    So it is going to be more widely released? Not just pass me by and have to wait for DVD? It isn't even in the list for "coming soon" on our local theater's web site.
    The only article I could find giving any sort of explanation was the following:

"Dreamgirls looks like a blockbuster. Even in a limited number of theaters, it ranked third overall at the box office last weekend. But Paramount, the movie's distributor, apparently wanted to build more word-of-mouth praise before going wide.

Still, the number of theaters showing Dreamgirls will increase to about 1,800 on Jan. 12."
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

THANK YOU! I have something to look forward to. Cornedbeef: I have a phobia of driving in big cities.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar
    I thought it was ok. I got in when the movie was about halfway over and then stayed for the next showing. Once it got to the point I had already seen, I left. I didn't care to see the ending again so that tells you something about what I thought of the movie.

Just saw it last night. I have to say, despite all of the talk about it, I don't think its real to you how totally Jennifer Hudson owns this movie until you actually see it rather than simply hear about it.

Beyonce is serviceable, but the role just isn't meant to be as powerful. Although frankly I think if the movie had a bit more in the middle section they might have been able to build up the story of her dissatisfaction and disillusionment with Curtis a bit more, perhaps giving the eventual resolution of that a bit more oomph.

I found it amusing that the kid who played Urkel is in it, just for a minute or two. If this isn't his first theatrical movie, its probably the first GOOD one he's been it.

Also I noticed Loretta Devine in it for a bit. I guess that was a nod to the Broadway show. I was half expecting Sheryl Lee Ralph in there somewhere too, but nope--didn't get her.

Wikipedia has some interesting info on the original Broadway show I'd never known. - here

Apparently its only due to Jennifer Holiday's big ego that Jennifer Hudson, years later, has such a meaty role. Originally Effie was going to die after Act I. Holiday put pressure on to have them change that, and kept it on because even after they un-killed her Deena was still clearly the star of Act II in earlier drafts, whereas in what we see now Act II is pretty evenly split.

I also hadn't been aware that notorious American Idol-er Frenchie Davis was also lauded for being in a version of the show.

More on that - here

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Krom, interesting stuff about Holiday. I didn't know the whole storyline and kept fearing Effie was going to die just like Flo Ballard (the woman her character is based on) did in real life. I'm glad she didn't because we would have missed out on some great numbers from Effie in Act II.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

It's finally playing here! Can't wait to see it this weekend!
    Count your blessings!

Sorry to double-post, but I just got back from Dream Girls and loved it even more than I thought I would. Having listened to the soundtrack the last couple of weeks, I was familiar with the tunes, but seeing the acting to go along with it put it over the top - especially "I'm telling you I'm not going". Now I'm really curious how close it is to the real story. I know in real life Effie died penniless and young. Was there a real Curtis figure? Does anyone know?
    Count your blessings!

In real life, Effie wasn't named Effie of course, she was Florence Ballard. Diana Ross, of course, is the analogue to Deena Jones, and Mary Wilson is very roughly Lorrell Robinson, although I don't think the real Mary Wilson is known to have carried on a year's long affair with a married man. Curtis Taylor Jr. is pretty much Berry Gordy Jr. (note the commonality of the "Junior"), who was involved with Diana Ross although I don't think they ever married (they did have a kid together though--if you read up on her apparently she romantically flipped back and forth between Gordy and her manager--having kids with both in quick succession but only marrying the manager).

There are odd parallels in other ways. In the film for example, Effie is replaced by Curtis' secretary. In real life, Diana Ross WAS Berry Gordy's secretary, although she was a singer first. Ballard and Ross were BOTH lead singers of the group initially, so it wasn't really the situation presented in the film, but Gordy eventually decided the group could only support one lead. Florence Ballard was replaced with Cindy Birdsong right at the time the group really hit it big, just as in the movie, although obviously the rest of the circumstances about the replacement are just made up. Also, the name of the group really WAS changed, just as in the movie (it became "Diana Ross & the Supremes" just as in the movie it became "Deena Jones & The Dreams").

Ross really did want out of the group to be in movies, and as a solo act, but it was entirely on purpose and in concert with Motown, not "against" them as in the movie.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast