+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst Holiday Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2175123;
    I actually found The Polar Express to be difficult to watch the first time through because I found the animation kind of creepy feeling, because the faces seem quite empty. I loved the story and loved the song that the little girl sings (Believe, which Josh Groban sings later). Watching it again, I got as completely swept up into it as I did with the book. It's quite fascinating.
    Just out of curiousity, was that strange "bum" (ghost?) character in the book as well? It seemed weirdly out-of-place. Also, the Santa seemed a little too intimidating for my taste. Santa shouldn't be scary, for goodness sakes. :nono
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Hmmmmm.... you know, it's been awhile since I've actually read the story so I'll have to peek at Jordan's copy to answer that. I believe he was, but....
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I finally saw Polar Express this weekend. I am going to have to add it to my hated it list. The animation creeped me out and Santa was incredibly scary. I forgot to add the elves were even creepier than Santa. They weren't something I would like to come face to face with.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    You can buy some Rankin Bass figurines.

http://www.misfittoys.net/sclaus.htm

Are these specials only famous in the US?
    I have some of the films on DVD, but I would love to have all the ones I enjoy.
    I didn't like Pinochio's Christmas.

My daughter has TONS of Rudolph toys and collectables. She adopted the movie as her favorite when she could barely walk and has stayed loyal to it ever since. She doesn't confine her obsession to December, either. We have it on dvd and she watches it all year round. I hear that song so much I could hurl. She was born just a few days before Christmas (a month early! ) so maybe she just knows she's a Christmas baby.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Chip and Reichen#1 chipnreichenfan's Avatar
    Miracle On 34th Street
    One Magic Christmas
    Scrooge (Alistar Sims)
    Rudolph
    Frosty the Snowman
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    Twas The Night Before Christmas
    Little drummer Boy
    Any Rankin and Bass Production..
    The greatest gift is to love and to be loved in return..The Moulin Rouge

(quietly tip-toeing in to post dumb statement)

I'm certainly old enough to remember the Rudolph, Frosty, etc. movies but I've never heard them referred to as Rankin and Bass Productions - same with the music. I've noticed several people here using that descriptor. I'm clueless! Am I the only one who's never heard of that name?

(quietly tip-toeing out)

I normally don't like A Christmas Carol, but the George C. Scott version is quite good.

How is it that Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964) hasn't shown up on anyone's list yet? It's so horrible it's hilarious
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I always think of George C. Scott as the Scrooge.

I thought of another one that isnt' a classic Christmas movie, but I always love to watch it around the holidays. When Harry Met Sally. It focuses a lot on New Years and Christmas and always makes me think of love, friends, and the promise of a new year.

I remember a cartoon shown in a Disney Christmas special. Itís about a young boy living with his evil step-father (well we donít really get to know this but the man is cruel and Disney likes the step-father aspect) and the boyís only friend is his donkey. But the family is poor and donít have the money to keep the donkey, so if he doesnít get rid of it by nightfall, they will kill it. OK, Iím using Spoiler tags since I will give away the plot and ending.

Click to see Spoiler:
    So the story goes and nobody wants this donkey as it is old and weak. The dark begins to fall and the boy doesnít want to go home since he knows what awaits his donkey. The all of a sudden a man appears, saying that he is very poor but he is in need of a donkey to take his pregnant wife to Bethlehem. The boy is happy just knowing that the donkey will have a new home with people who appreciate him.

Iím not normally into Biblical stories but this is really touching. I think I have seen it once or twice, but I remember that tears were running down my cheeks. Itís just so sad and you really feel the boyís despair, even though it is a short cartoon. The thing is, not many people have seen it and, when I tell them about it they can never really grasp just how sad it is. Itís just me, my sister and my dad; that I know of.

I guess I will place it in the Best category, but I really don't want to see it, it's just that sad.

Any FORTers out there who have seen it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast