+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst Holiday Movies

When I was younger, I saw Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas and loved it. It was on HBO and I'd watch it over and over. I haven't seen it in years so I don't know if I'd feel the same way about it now. Has anyone else seen it?

I also love the classics: Rudolph, Frosty, The Grinch, Charlie Brown but there are some nice made for tv Christmas movies that have been showing on Hallmark and Lifetime. I can't remember the names but I've been watching them this weekend.

We also own A Christmas Story. I recently read an article about an ex-military man (marine maybe?) who bought the house shown in the movie on ebay and fixed it up to look just like it did in the movie. He's giving tours and bought the house across the street as a museum and gift shop. You can also order a reproduction of the leg lamp
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 12-11-2006 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2174631;
    Tonight I saw a movie with Linda Hamilton on the Hallmark Channel. It was called Silent Night and was about Nazis and American GIs who shared an unexpected Christmas dinner. It was nice.
    Ooh, this reminds me of what I've always considered to be my favourite war movie (of the two that I actually like), but I guess it also fits into the Christmas movie genre - A Midnight Clear. Perhaps they were both based on the same actual event.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

*gasp* Has no one mentioned The Year Without a Santa Claus as one of the best movies of all time???? Ice Miser and Heat Miser are the best!

Love NL Christmas Vacation, Love Actually, and The Polar Express was sweet, Miracle on 34th Street and It's a Wonderful Life.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    When I was in college I found a VHS tape of Emmit Otter's Jugband Christmas and I am now the proud owner! I think I got it at a Barnes and Nobles. All they had was VHS and that was okay with me.

BroadwayI mentioned all of the Rankin and Bass Santa Clause movies. I love them all. I have a singing snowman that sings the Snow Miser song.

RattusI didn't know that that movie might be based on a true event. That's really interesting. I love stories like that.

I hadn't thought of Polar Express. I thought that was a cute movie. I think I needed to read the book to understand the "bum" better, though. He didn't seem to fit in with the vibe of the movie for those of us who didn't read the book.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Love:
    Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer (I even have the soundtrack)
    White Christmas
    Muppet Christmas Carol

Hate:
    Polar Express (this movie is painful for any animator to watch)
    Frosty (though I didnt hate it as much as the sequal. The animation and character design is at least decent)
    Frosty 2
    A Christmas Story (I agree with Rattus, it's way over rated)
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2175077;
    I hadn't thought of Polar Express. I thought that was a cute movie. I think I needed to read the book to understand the "bum" better, though. He didn't seem to fit in with the vibe of the movie for those of us who didn't read the book.
    Well, the movie also had about 10 pages of script for every 1 page of the actual book, so I am sure some things were added. But it's been so long since I've read the book... I don't remember.

And I thought the only good part of that movie was Josh Groban singing over the credits.
    Last edited by SuperBrat; 12-11-2006 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Spelling is not my strength
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

I don't remember why but I didn't really care for the Polar Express and even found myself dozing off. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it either.

I love The Year Without A Santa Claus. Isn't it being remade into a live action movie? I can't remember if it's being made for tv or will be in the theaters. Anyone know when it will be on or in the theater?

FORT Fogey
    The live action Year Without a Santa Claus is on NBC tonight. Timely question!

I have avoided seeing the Polar Express. I think the book is absolutely magical, and I want to hold all my visions from the book the way they are, without being tarnished by the film maker's version of it.

My all time favorite Christmas movies are A Christmas Story (just watched it this weekend. I too remember it in theaters. Living in Cleveland at the time the exterior filming was done here, I remember it being filmed and begging my mom to take us down to be extras) and Elf. Expanding it to TV specials, count me as another vote for Nestor the Long Ear Donkey. My sister and I used to cry through it every year. I still get excited every time I find other people who have actually heard of it!

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2174966;
    BroadwayI mentioned all of the Rankin and Bass Santa Clause movies. I love them all. I have a singing snowman that sings the Snow Miser song.
    Ahh, that's true.. you did! Sorry! And I must have your snowman...heh. I have all of the little collectible resin dolls of the characters and display them proudly here at work.

I actually found The Polar Express to be difficult to watch the first time through because I found the animation kind of creepy feeling, because the faces seem quite empty. I loved the story and loved the song that the little girl sings (Believe, which Josh Groban sings later). Watching it again, I got as completely swept up into it as I did with the book. It's quite fascinating.

It's on IMAX right now, too. I'm going to try to catch it.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast