+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst Holiday Movies

Hey, Twinner, we saw A Christmas Story in the theater too. Now our family watches it on dvd every year and laugh like it's the first time we've seen it. I also love Elf and think Will Ferrell was perfect for the role. Another of my favorites is the classic It's a Wonderful Life.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Oh my gosh, how could I forget, "Single Santa Seeks Mrs. Claus" and its sequel, "Meet the Santas"? I have the Hallmark Channel to thank for both of these atrocities. I was unlucky enough to see both the original and the sequel and was like a deer in headlights for both.

The movies starred a swollen-looking Steve Guttenburg as the heir-apparent to Santa Claus (basically a poor man's Tim Allen) and (horribly-disfigured-by-plastic-surgery) Crystal Bernard as his love interest. It's saccharine, stupid, predictable, and looks like it was filmed in someone's backyard with spray-painted props. Horrible movies!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2174291;
    Oh my gosh, how could I forget, "Single Santa Seeks Mrs. Claus" and its sequel, "Meet the Santas"? I have the Hallmark Channel to thank for both of these atrocities. I was unlucky enough to see both the original and the sequel and was like a deer in headlights for both.

The movies starred a swollen-looking Steve Guttenburg as the heir-apparent to Santa Claus (basically a poor man's Tim Allen) and (horribly-disfigured-by-plastic-surgery) Crystal Bernard as his love interest. It's saccharine, stupid, predictable, and looks like it was filmed in someone's backyard with spray-painted props. Horrible movies!
    I know what you mean. I normally love Steve Guttenberg, but everytime he laughed with that stupid "ho, ho, ho" I wanted to smack him with a 2X4.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Apparently I'm the only person on the planet who loves Scrooged and thinks that A Christmas Story is overrated and dull. Also love National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, no matter how much I despise Chevy Chase, and hate every other Christmas movie that I've seen. I will concede that A Chrismas Carol (the one with Alastair Sim) is an excellent movie, but being forced to watch it every year with my family until I finally left home causes a Pavlovian type response involving hysteria every time I see Mr. Sim's face. And A Wonderful Life just depresses me - his suffocating in a small-town family lifestyle that he never wanted is painful to watch, and his finally being brainwashed into accepting it with a smile on his face just makes me cry.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I sort of feel the same way about "Its a Wonderful Life", Rattus. There are some touching moments in the movie and the message that we all impact other people's lives is a powerful one. However, my overwhelming feeling after watching it is pity for George. I mean, he had a nice family and friends that cared about him, but he also gave up every dream he ever had. That's pretty damn depressing. Couldn't he have had the family AND gotten out of that town? That would have been a lot more cheery, that's for sure. Not to mention I hate his daughter's voice in that movie. When she talks about the bell ringing at the end, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    How could I forget all of the Rankin and Bass classics!
    I love Rudolph, The little Drummer Boy, Nester the Long-Eared Donkey, all of the ones about Santa Clause and his origins, Jack Frost, and The First Christmas Snow. Thank God for ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas so I can watch them every year.

I don't like the Frosty the Snowman ones and some of the Rudolph sequels were a stretch, but the baby new year one was cute.

I thought Scrooged was funny.

Tonight I saw a movie with Linda Hamilton on the Hallmark Channel. It was called Silent Night and was about Nazis and American GIs who shared an unexpected Christmas dinner. It was nice.

I am already brushing up on my dialogue for the 24 hours of a Christmas Story marathon. My family can watch the movie several times in a row and still laugh. I only remember it in tv re-run form.
    "I triple dog dare you!" "The F dash dash dash word."

Worst: Anything with Mr. Magoo.
    Last edited by rt1ky; 12-10-2006 at 10:34 PM.

White Christmas is my favorite Christmas movie ever. I like The Santa Clause and Home Alone (the first and second one), Scrooged and both Veggie Tales Christmas episodes.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Best: A Christmas Story, Die Hard, and Peter's Friends (though that one is really New Year's).

Worst: As much as I like the Dickens story, I can't stand any production of anything with Scrooge (A Christmas Carol, Scrooged, whatever...) unless it's Scrooge McDuck. And It's a Wonderful Life, except the pool scene.

I completely forgot about Peter's Friends, Phonegrrl! I love that movie!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast