+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blood Diamond - 12/8

Blood Diamond - 12/8

R 2 hr 18 mins Thriller, Drama, Crime, Romance

From Hollywood.com

Synopsis:
    Set against the backdrop of civil war and chaos in 1990's Sierra Leone, Danny Archer, a South African mercenary, and Solomon Vandy, a Mende fisherman are joined in a common quest to recover a rare pink diamond that can transform their lives. While in prison for smuggling, Archer learns that Solomon--who was taken from his family and forced to work in the diamond fields--has found and hidden the extraordinary rough stone.
    With the help of Maddy Bowen, an American journalist whose idealism is tempered by a deepening connection with Archer, the two men embark on a trek through rebel territory, a journey that could save Solomon's family and give Archer the second chance he thought he would never have.
    Leonardo DiCaprio -- Danny Archer
    Djimon Hounsou -- Solomon Vandy
    Jennifer Connelly -- Maddy Bowen

I've seen trailers for this and think it looks like it could be a fantastic movie.
    Definitely one I'm looking forward to.

No comments? Hmmm.

This was a great movie. It was doubly worth seeing it after first watching the History Channel documentary by the same name because I may have foolishly chalked up some of the things depicted in the movie to cinematic license and maybe an exaggeration of the truth. While the main characters were fictional, the background story itself is historical fact.

The truth is ugly and that truth is that a diamond is not worth a tenth of what it sells for, it's not rare, it's not even precious. It is however a very cleverly marketed piece of shiny carbon for which thousands of people have been killed, maimed and left homeless and suffering. The diamond "market" is an artificially created environment designed to sell a fantasy in order to reap maximum profit for some very clever and very enterprising con men who have a death grip on the entire industry.... "A diamond is forever." Yeah, right.

Glad I don't own a diamond.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

+ Reply to Thread